+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening All

Tank is 7 months old now. Zoas looking good. SPS are struggling. Can one keep adding bacteria to improve a new tank? What type of bacteria? Any particular brand to work some magic?

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks all.

AS

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that won't work

There aren't any pattern examples you and I can find for it working

There are thousands of examples available in searches for improving sps growth for sure though, they just don't involve you adding bottle bacteria to a tank already cycled

There's:
Lighting tricks
Parameter changing tricks
Using live rock and not dry rock tricks
Feeding tricks
Several more searchable ones

Avast
OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 7 months fish are all fine. Inverts all out working hard last night. Dry rock and lack of much calcareous algae disappointing. Nitrates at 10 and phosphate at 0.09. Still waiting for tank to start looking ‘good’.

Corals.com

HomebroodExotics

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 7 months fish are all fine. Inverts all out working hard last night. Dry rock and lack of much calcareous algae disappointing. Nitrates at 10 and phosphate at 0.09. Still waiting for tank to start looking ‘good’.
Post some pictures, let’s see what you’re working with. Sounds like the tank should be just about good to go.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any bottled bacteria you can buy are just nitrosomas bacteria that your tank is already full of at 7 months old.

Adding more is just wasting your money.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening All

Tank is 7 months old now. Zoas looking good. SPS are struggling. Can one keep adding bacteria to improve a new tank? What type of bacteria? Any particular brand to work some magic?

You can add bacteria all you want.

Whether there is any benefit is the real question.

I never thought that any potential benefits were best attained this way, but it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

AS

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening All

I think if you post all your parameters we can steer you in the right direction.
Pics in white light will be a plus also.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know all the science behind it but bacteria driven systems like zeovit and the tank Sunny x just started are amazing! If you look at Sunny’s tank it will blow your mind in just 11 months how his corals out grew the tank!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started more than a couple tanks with dry rock. At 7 months, they were still young. While many looked really good at that time, most had water chemistry instability and low populations of organisms that manage the carbon, nitrogen, phosphate cycles. SPS didn't do well in these tanks. Invariably these tanks would have at least one more bout of the uglies to deal with before they started to stabilize. While a couple of these tanks matured a little faster, most didn't mature for 18-24 months.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening All

Your Nitrifying Bacteria Colony will grow and shrink based on the bio load in your tank. It is about supply and demand.

As the bio load in the tank increases, your bacteria colony will grow to meet the demand of the bio load. Also, if there is a reduction in the bio load (such as fish death), your colony will shrink to the point where there is enough bio load to support the remaining colony.

Nutramar Foods

HomebroodExotics

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know all the science behind it but bacteria driven systems like zeovit and the tank Sunny x just started are amazing! If you look at Sunny’s tank it will blow your mind in just 11 months how his corals out grew the tank!
Yes I would prefer to listen to reefers like sunny x since he does actually have a reef tank that uses these products over a hobbyist that doesn’t even have a reef tank. Just my opinion though.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would prefer to listen to reefers like sunny x since he does actually have a reef tank that uses these products over a hobbyist that doesn’t even have a reef tank. Just my opinion though.
@SunnyX has always been a mentor for me over the years watching his amazing tanks grow! I remember when he started the mb7, vodka deal which I still use to this day! He’s more advanced than that now but it works..

Avast

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of course, it's very hard to know when folks are successful because of every thing they do, or in spite of any particular thing being useless, or actually a negative factor, or just be doing something that lots of other methods might accomplish equally well in other tanks?

SunnyX, for example, uses many methods simultaneously, some of which include bacteria. And other great tanks do not dose any bacteria, ever.

How do you reconcile that and conclude bacteria must be beneficial?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have Sunny stop feeding the tank, and only dose bacteria. anyone with a coral only system can try this/corals will decline and begin to die within 6 months.

food +fish waste and other actions are doing the work, not the bacteria for cycling added to a cycled tank.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Kinetics
Back