Can’t find my pistol but I hear him busting caps.

BRS

Nikio318107

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I can’t find my candy cane OR my Yasha…. OR my yellow watchman. I can hear the pistol snapping in the tank but aside from not being able to find the above mentioned I have not seen an ammonia/nitrate spike and none of my other fish seem to be injured. I’m just wondering if I should go digging to avoid a spike because my tank is only a 30gallon. Thanks for looking.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can hear them, they are there. No need to go digging - if you put some food by the cave entrance you may see them come out.
But if I can hear him snapping that’s their self defense mode right? You don’t think he would attack one of my missing shrimp goby’s? Do they snap just for the hell of it?

Nutramar Foods

Matty Ice

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol attacks anything it wants. I feed frozen mysis and pellets to the cave entrance. It takes the food quickly and never see it otherwise. I do hear it often. Attacks anything that goes near its cave. Ate a blue leg hermit, Nasarius snail and started pulling in my sand sifting starfish but I was able to save it and remove the star. I’m not sure what he’s always snapping at at this point but if anyone wants a Tiger pistol shrimp, then I have one for free. Haha

Sharkbait19

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if I can hear him snapping that’s their self defense mode right? You don’t think he would attack one of my missing shrimp goby’s? Do they snap just for the hell of it?
They will snap at anything - usually if a hermit or snail passes too close it will snap (or steal it). Might just be part of the digging process too.

FishDaddy1992

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Scientists believe that the snapping is used for communication, as well as for hunting. A shrimp on the prowl will hide in a burrow or similar obscured spot, extending antennae to detect any passing fish."

This is from a quick google search. I'm pretty sure the US Navy used the clicks once for submarines to protect them from detection.

Top Shelf Aquatics

DaJMasta

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got two pistol shrimp in my tank (I think I started with three, then one died, I'm not 100% that there are only 2 though), and this past week was the first week I had seen both of them for a month or more, and in both cases it was only a claw.

If they get under rockwork or in the back of the tank, or both.... don't be surprised to almost never see them. I think most people with a paired goby usually see them more frequently, but if the entrance to the cave doesn't face the outside, they're going to be tough to spot.

They will snap at things that come by just to establish territory - I've got one that snaps at me if I try to remove algae in front of it's hole, and I've seen them snap at snails and urchins that ventured too close to the burrow.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did the gobies come back out? If one of them didn't, I'd suspect them infighting more than I would the pistol. Shrimpgobies are best not kept in the same tank unless it's fairly large.

Pistol shrimp snap to fend things (including snails) off from their burrow, to kill small worms to eat, to communicate, and they'll also use their snapping claw to break pieces of shell into the right shapes to build with. A lot of loud snaps in a row means it's after something, but milder snapping is normal.

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the gobies come back out? If one of them didn't, I'd suspect them infighting more than I would the pistol. Shrimpgobies are best not kept in the same tank unless it's fairly large.

Pistol shrimp snap to fend things (including snails) off from their burrow, to kill small worms to eat, to communicate, and they'll also use their snapping claw to break pieces of shell into the right shapes to build with. A lot of loud snaps in a row means it's after something, but milder snapping is normal.
The goby’s are fine. My tiger pistol wound up warming up a bit. He now comes out of the cave when my ywg ventures out. However my candy cane/yasha pair. I NEVER see them. I saw my yasha’s fin a couple weeks ago and my candy cane’s claw a couple days ago but they stay in their burrow

Corals.com

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have them in the same tank, no wonder- yellow watchmen and tiger pistols are both territorial and more aggressive than a yasha and a candycane. They should be kept separately, especially as yashas and candycanes are already fairly timid. If you can't separate them out (which you really should, before one gets hurt or killed), make sure to target-feed them so they don't starve.

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have them in the same tank, no wonder- yellow watchmen and tiger pistols are both territorial and more aggressive than a yasha and a candycane. They should be kept separately, especially as yashas and candycanes are already fairly timid. If you can't separate them out (which you really should, before one gets hurt or killed), make sure to target-feed them so they don't starve.
Okay. Thanks man. I got both because a couple of people and my lfs said I would be okay. I’ll see if I can get one of the pairs out

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back