Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought three pajama cardinalfish from a lfs that I found about a month ago, and one of them has a bubble next to its eye. Can anyone help identify what could be the cause? Do I need to treat him in my QT? The little guy is feisty toward the other pj’s, but that isn’t anything out of the ordinary. It’s eating well, and I’ve seen no signs of stress since I’ve had it, but I’m concerned about it’s eye. It’s already been treated at the lfs with Prazi and Copper. (Yes, I know I’ve got an algae issue on the back of the tank. I leave it for my clowns and my lawnmower blenny.)

74AF7A21-6D3D-4497-BADB-EAEF871A95EF.jpeg A86E5F7B-8966-4EC9-8E16-D6E9485CB995.jpeg 23F0304D-B84A-4465-8D62-7A58B5ECF57B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6862.MOV
    23.4 MB
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought three pajama cardinalfish from a lfs that I found about a month ago, and one of them has a bubble next to its eye. Can anyone help identify what could be the cause? Do I need to treat him in my QT? The little guy is feisty toward the other pj’s, but that isn’t anything out of the ordinary. It’s eating well, and I’ve seen no signs of stress since I’ve had it, but I’m concerned about it’s eye. It’s already been treated at the lfs with Prazi and Copper. (Yes, I know I’ve got an algae issue on the back of the tank. I leave it for my clowns and my lawnmower blenny.)

View attachment 3049359 View attachment 3049360 View attachment 3049361
This is gas bubble issue and often occurs in a tank with many micro bubbles or an eye injury.
You will need to treat in a quarantine tank using Maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin which should help thi.
A QT tank is as simple as a starter tank kit from Walmart which has most of the essentials

OP
OP
christyj3

christyj3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is gas bubble issue and often occurs in a tank with many micro bubbles or an eye injury.
You will need to treat in a quarantine tank using Maracyn AKA maracyn 1 which is ethromyacin which should help thi.
A QT tank is as simple as a starter tank kit from Walmart which has most of the essentials
Thank you for your advice!! It was like this when I got it, but my 55 gallon FOWLR does have a lot of bubbles in the water on one side, due to having a hang-on-the-back filter. Will this cause this issue to get worse?
I always have a quarantine tank ready to go, just in case I experience an emergency. Where do you recommend purchasing the medication?
The bubble was clear at first, and about a day later it was white.

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you for your advice!! It was like this when I got it, but my 55 gallon FOWLR does have a lot of bubbles in the water on one side, due to having a hang-on-the-back filter. Will this cause this issue to get worse?
I always have a quarantine tank ready to go, just in case I experience an emergency. Where do you recommend purchasing the medication?
Yes white as its getting infected. Maracyn will help
Verify source of micro-bubbles and reduce/eliminate it. Generally protein skimmers and return pump in low water will cause them.

OP
OP
christyj3

christyj3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes white as its getting infected. Maracyn will help
Verify source of micro-bubbles and reduce/eliminate it. Generally protein skimmers and return pump in low water will cause them.
Will the infection cause harm to the rest of my livestock in my DT or to the water? Until I get him moved over and medicated, I mean.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Will the infection cause harm to the rest of my livestock in my DT or to the water? Until I get him moved over and medicated, I mean.
Non contagious to others and confined to given fish. Its a condition and not disease in better terms

Corals.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I looked at Bulk Reef Supply for the Maracyn, and I found these. Which would I need?
#3 MARACYN and $12.74 now ??? I remember $5.99

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They are currently out of stock on BRS, so I'm going to look at Fritz Aquatics website to try to find it.
This is a common medication and should be available at any Petsmart, petco and Amazon

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bubble look like it has gas or liquid filling it? Looks like liquid to me, but pics are tough to see.
Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Zoanthids.com
Back