Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently bought a brunneus wrasse and was wondering if I could get some insight on the behavior and diet of these fish as I can’t find any care guides for this type of wrasse. Thanks!

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently bought a brunneus wrasse and was wondering if I could get some insight on the behavior and diet of these fish as I can’t find any care guides for this type of wrasse. Thanks!
Cirrhilabrus is generally the same care all throughout with maybe 1-2 oddballs (Brunneus isn’t one of these to my knowledge).

Cirrhilabrus brunneus;

Common Name: Dusky Fairy Wrasse

Wild Diet: Zooplankton

Captive Diet: Algae sheets, Vitamin enriched Mysis/Brine, Amphipods/Copepods, Worms, Other Live Shrimp.

Max Size: 4 inches (13cm)

Temperament: Peaceful

OP
OP
J

joeman829

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus is generally the same care all throughout with maybe 1-2 oddballs (Brunneus isn’t one of these to my knowledge).

Cirrhilabrus brunneus;

Common Name: Dusky Fairy Wrasse

Wild Diet: Zooplankton

Captive Diet: Algae sheets, Vitamin enriched Mysis/Brine, Amphipods/Copepods, Worms, Other Live Shrimp.

Max Size: 4 inches (13cm)

Temperament: Peaceful
Ok thank you I’m glad they are easy and have mine eating mystis

Nutramar Foods

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you I’m glad they are easy and have mine eating mystis
Cirrhilabrus is the easiest genus of wrasse out there in my opinion. They will eat anything and everything once they’re settled, mine even eat dry algae sheets whereas my Halichoeres don’t usually eat it.

OP
OP
J

joeman829

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus is the easiest genus of wrasse out there in my opinion. They will eat anything and everything once they’re settled, mine even eat dry algae sheets whereas my Halichoeres don’t usually eat it.
Dry algae sheets really? My melanarus won’t touch it but used to eat it so it would be nice to see a wrasse eating algae off the clip agian

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine finished QT without any issues at all. Constantly ate and continues to be one of bigger eaters in my 180 even amongst larger fish. It's a bolder species and fearless. I can put my hand in right next to it almost petting it.

It eats everything. I rotate between NLS, TDO, Reef Flakes and garlic flakes.

I have noticed that mine tends to be on the red side with barely any of the darker tones unlike the photos that I've seen. It's about 2.5inches. Not sure if mine is normal in coloration, but zero issues with diet or anything visible health wise.

What color is yours?

AquaCave Logo Banner

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine finished QT without any issues at all. Constantly ate and continues to be one of bigger eaters in my 180 even amongst larger fish. It's a bolder species and fearless. I can put my hand in right next to it almost petting it.

It eats everything. I rotate between NLS, TDO, Reef Flakes and garlic flakes.

I have noticed that mine tends to be on the red side with barely any of the darker tones unlike the photos that I've seen. It's about 2.5inches. Not sure if mine is normal in coloration, but zero issues with diet or anything visible health wise.

What color is yours?
Got a photo of yours?
It may be that at that size you have a transitional phase male.

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4343694C-D971-45D3-BB6A-1769C1386DA4.jpeg

almost faded looking at times.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 2849364

almost faded looking at times.
Looks to me like you have a young specimen that’s still transitioning. Females of C. brunneus are a beautiful red colouration, then once they start to transition they go into that blue phase. Usually looking a rather pale deep blue (almost grey in looks). Their fins seem to be the last thing to change colour (as with most transitioning wrasses). Your transitional-phase male seems to be close to finishing that transition phase. So you should have a full male rather soon (potentially in the next few months or even days).

Corals.com

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like you have a young specimen that’s still transitioning. Females of C. brunneus are a beautiful red colouration, then once they start to transition they go into that blue phase. Usually looking a rather pale deep blue (almost grey in looks). Their fins seem to be the last thing to change colour (as with most transitioning wrasses). Your transitional-phase male seems to be close to finishing that transition phase. So you should have a full male rather soon (potentially in the next few months or even days).

Thank you for confirming. I was assuming the transition and the darker is the male color, but other photos I've seen suggest a similar size as mine yet darker in color.

I added it along with 3 other cirrhilabrus at the same time. All females initially as far as I could tell and mixed according to the wrasse compatibility chart so they should all get along as they transition. The brunneus is the biggest of my cirrhilabrus batch. Crossing fingers, but so far so good with them all doing fine together in the 180. No aggression. The Cirrhilabrus rubripinnis is the most aggressive according to the chart in my batch, but peaceful so far. Time will tell.

Thanks again

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back