Brown Bugs/Specs on Glass

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what these are? They look oval shaped and smaller than a grain of rice. Look brownish and move around the glass. Have a V shaped end to the body. Mainly on the glass but probably on the overflow and elsewhere. A good amount of them. Tank has been setup with live sand and live rock from LFS for about a month. I don’t have any lights on the tank yet either.

IMG_4808.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what these are? They look oval shaped and smaller than a grain of rice. Look brownish and move around the glass. Have a V shaped end to the body. Mainly on the glass but probably on the overflow and elsewhere. A good amount of them. Tank has been setup with live sand and live rock from LFS for about a month. I don’t have any lights on the tank yet either.

IMG_4808.jpeg
Apologies for the poor picture. Still trying to get a better one haha.

OP
OP
T

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convolutid flatworms, possibly ghost flatworms - sort of neutral, but it's generally recommended to remove them regardless.
I just thought the same thing as well. I forgot I had bookmarked a hitchhiker ID guide I found here. It looked really similar to the Ghost flatworm image as well. Is the best method for removing them chemical or manual?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought the same thing as well. I forgot I had bookmarked a hitchhiker ID guide I found here. It looked really similar to the Ghost flatworm image as well. Is the best method for removing them chemical or manual?
To my knowledge, both work - manual is a slower but safer.

OP
OP
T

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For reference

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any fish in the tank? These sometimes "bloom" in a new tank and then die back as other critters prey on them and/or outcompete them for food.

OP
OP
T

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any fish in the tank? These sometimes "bloom" in a new tank and then die back as other critters prey on them and/or outcompete them for food.
Apologies for the late response. No fish in the tank. Just added my TBS live rock on Monday, along with a GSP frag. Aside from the frag and any hitchhikers that came with the rock. I've noticed since adding the rock, they've substantially multiplied in numbers. Will be doing manual removal to a good extent this weekend.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back