Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sir, first off let me say your tank is absolutely a work of art. I bought a reefer 250 and "stole" some of your ideas for mounting my Apex and attempted to set up my reactors like yours. I didn't get even close to setting up my apex as cool as you and my sump is to small to plumb them so I settled with something else. I came across a great deal on a 450 and I couldn't pass on the offer. Now I can truly attempt to copy your sump design and maybe set up my apex a little better. I have a couple questions for you before I jump into this project. First off you completely changed your sump layout. I want to copy your old sump layout that two reactors hard plumbed in. Was there a fault with that setup that would cause me to pass on it? Second I thought I saw a part list for all the plumbing you did but I can't find it now. Do you have something like that available?? Thank you for taking time to read this! I am a huge fan of your work. Once again GREAT JOB!

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Sir, first off let me say your tank is absolutely a work of art. I bought a reefer 250 and "stole" some of your ideas for mounting my Apex and attempted to set up my reactors like yours. I didn't get even close to setting up my apex as cool as you and my sump is to small to plumb them so I settled with something else. I came across a great deal on a 450 and I couldn't pass on the offer. Now I can truly attempt to copy your sump design and maybe set up my apex a little better. I have a couple questions for you before I jump into this project. First off you completely changed your sump layout. I want to copy your old sump layout that two reactors hard plumbed in. Was there a fault with that setup that would cause me to pass on it? Second I thought I saw a part list for all the plumbing you did but I can't find it now. Do you have something like that available?? Thank you for taking time to read this! I am a huge fan of your work. Once again GREAT JOB!

Thank you, it means a lot!

No, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the sump/reactor setup. I just like to push the boundaries, be original, do things a little flashy... but still with some class. As for the plumbing/reactor parts list, I actually measured all of the pieces before I shipped it out. That way if anyone wanted to copy it, I could give them the measurements. However, after I wrote all of the measurements down, I realized that not all plumbing fitting brands are the same size. So a 90 degree elbow of one brand may have an overall length that slightly differs from an alternate brand. So unless a person is using the same exact brand of fittings as I did, then my measurements may not pan out. The best thing is to piece it together as you go, from one end to the other of the manifold.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet illumination and edge lighting on together. Soon I'll be taking all three doors off and taking a FTSS(full tank + stand shot) with my real camera. These iPhone pics aren't the best.

IMG_8018 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_8019 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How easy is the access if you need to unplug something ?
Are the lids secured by magnets only or so ?

It takes about 30 seconds to get to anything behind there. The three cover panels simply pop off with a little force and unplug the micro quick disconnects for the edge lighting. Yes, the panels are held on by magnets... the lower panel is simply pressure fit. When you go to put them back on, they are slightly sucked out of your hands by the magnets... so they are not going anywhere lol. Then the DDR holder just simply slides out and can be set off to the side. Last thing is to simply raise the hinged lower panel, to a horizontal position, and lock it into place. That aspect of it is really no different than my original setup that I did last year. I posted this pic a couple of pages back to show what it looks like behind the beauty panels/lids.

IMG_8001 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of paint do you use on the MDF?

I use a product from SEM... Satin Black Chip Guard. Which is the textured coating that goes on the bottom of the rockers on some vehicles. So it's VERY durable. On vehicles they use a clear chip guard.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1

revhtree

Owner Administrator
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   1
Oh I LOVE how the DOS containers are illuminated like that!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes about 30 seconds to get to anything behind there. The three cover panels simply pop off with a little force and unplug the micro quick disconnects for the edge lighting. Yes, the panels are held on by magnets... the lower panel is simply pressure fit. When you go to put them back on, they are slightly sucked out of your hands by the magnets... so they are not going anywhere lol. Then the DDR holder just simply slides out and can be set off to the side. Last thing is to simply raise the hinged lower panel, to a horizontal position, and lock it into place. That aspect of it is really no different than my original setup that I did last year. I posted this pic a couple of pages back to show what it looks like behind the beauty panels/lids.

IMG_8001 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Very cool

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I LOVE how the DOS containers are illuminated like that!

Yeah, I'm really happy with how everything has turned out so far.

Been some time since Ive checked out your thread, very little growth on the overflow, nice! (or are you cleaning it)

I scrape it every month or so.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here I am... I can't even get my friggin' doors on the red sea cabinet aligned perfectly!! :(

Lol, you have me cracking up over here.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
https://www.triton.de/en/
Back