Bristle Worms

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about bristleworms, how do they reproduce when tanks are overfed ? Do they lay eggs? Have babies?
Depends. Some fragment or bud (intentionally split themselves other half grows into a new worm) Some broadcast spawn (release eggs & sperms in water, larvae is free swimming) Very few will have eggs and take care of them. All depends on the species.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

I love acans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about bristleworms, how do they reproduce when tanks are overfed ? Do they lay eggs? Have babies?
Yes. A male releases sperm while a female releases eggs in the same area. I found this great video:

They'll also "bud" sometimes, but thats not their preferred way to reproduce.

Last edited:

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. A male releases sperm while a female releases eggs in the same area. I found this great video:

Theyll also "bud" sometimes, but thats not their preffered way to reproduce.

Did not need to see the forbidden spray cheese.
Please do not ever call that video "great" lol

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really like your tank i also have a 32 gallon biocube and want to know how your filtration is set up im always having a hard time keeping my water clean im pretty new to saltwater if you dont mind showing some pictures of your filtration
Check out my build thread if you can. Filter floss and a fuge in second chamber. Didn’t add a skimmer until two years later. I change 25% water every week

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that’s why I dip aggressively. I have plenty of CUC. These things can sting you and if you are doing delicate like holding a rock, you could end up with a catastrophic outcome. That is of course if you aren’t wearing gloves. lol. Would rather just not have them
Euphyllia can sting you too...

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms don't bother me too much. For some reason my Nano LPS tank is infested with them but my DT SPS tank has none. Maybe my fish eat them, I dunno.

If I do see them out in the open when I feed reef roids I'll remove them with tweezers to keep the population in check. I don't think too much of anything is good in the long run.

If you really want to eradicate them, just treat the tank with prazipro.

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pretend they look like this that is my coping mechanism
trolli_neon_gummy_sour_worms_small.jpg
NOM NOM NOM.... :D

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristleworms don't bother me too much. For some reason my Nano LPS tank is infested with them but my DT SPS tank has none. Maybe my fish eat them, I dunno.

If I do see them out in the open when I feed reef roids I'll remove them with tweezers to keep the population in check. I don't think too much of anything is good in the long run.

If you really want to eradicate them, just treat the tank with prazipro.

Never heard of prazipro killing bristleworms

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro does kill worms.
Lots of conflicting stories online and people saying prazipro doesn't kill bristleworms, which are not the same thing as flat worms and flukes.

Looks like I'll be throwing some bristleworms into some tank water with some prazipro to find out though

I know they don't like peroxide at all, and a great way to get rid of some worms buried in rock is to baste some peroxide into those crevices!

Nasty little creatures

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard of prazipro killing bristleworms

I can confirm that Prazipro does indeed kill bristle worms. I have a frag tank that I usually keep fallow. A couple of months ago, I put a rock in from one of my tanks that had tons of worms in it, and then a few weeks later, I got a few fish. I added Prazipro to pre-treat the fish for parasites, and the next day, I saw a bunch of worm corpses.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back