Brand new Fairy Wrasse discovered! Meet the Vibranium Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus wakanda)

BRS

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is cool! A brand new fairy wrasse was discovered! This is the Cirrhilabrus wakanda (aka the Vibranium Fairy Wrasse). Here's the documentation on it's discovery:
Cirrhilabrus wakanda • A New Species of Fairy Wrasse (Teleostei, Labridae) from Mesophotic Ecosystems of Zanzibar, Tanzania, Africa

1.jpg

Photos by Luis Rocha
Apparently, the name is because the scientist who discovered it is also a Marvel Cinematic Universe fan and since it was discovered off the coast of Africa decided to name it for Wakanda (the fictional country in the MCU that Black Panther is from). Here's the LINK to the story on CNN's website.

The fish resides in lower depths of the Twilight Zone. It was found in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Tanzania.

1.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow I think they'd throw a fit if Captain America made his new shield out of these ;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Somehow I think they'd throw a fit if Captain America made his new shield out of these ;Hilarious;Hilarious
Haha! I thought the name was a bit funny too.

Top Shelf Aquatics

WMR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is cool! A brand new fairy wrasse was discovered! This is the Cirrhilabrus wakanda (aka the Vibranium Fairy Wrasse). Here's the documentation on it's discovery:
Cirrhilabrus wakanda • A New Species of Fairy Wrasse (Teleostei, Labridae) from Mesophotic Ecosystems of Zanzibar, Tanzania, Africa

View attachment 1127850
Photos by Luis Rocha
Apparently, the name is because the scientist who discovered it is also a Marvel Cinematic Universe fan and since it was discovered off the coast of Africa decided to name it for Wakanda (the fictional country in the MCU that Black Panther is from). Here's the LINK to the story on CNN's website.

The fish resides in lower depths of the Twilight Zone. It was found in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Tanzania.

Very nice looking fish, if & when they’re collected for the trade, they’ll cost insane money( not peppermint angel money), but a lot

Biokabe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking fish, if & when they’re collected for the trade, they’ll cost insane money( not peppermint angel money), but a lot

Deeper water, not well-understood, and quite attractive... yeah, you're probably right. It is definitely one of the nicer-looking fairies out there... love to have one for my tank. =) But probably not at the price it'll command!

Avast

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It amazes me annually, newly discovered fish. Are they actually new, or Hybrids or???

AS

Bongo Shrimp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me annually, newly discovered fish. Are they actually new, or Hybrids or???
They use mitochondrial DNA analysis in addition to a few other methods to help differentiate between a hybrid and a separate species.

AquaCave Logo Banner
Nutramar Foods

Admann

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you call them the Tang police? I can't stop laughing!
Put a tang in a tank less than 75 gallons, ask for advice about it because it doesn't look happy and see. Be afraid, be very afraid. I still agree with them concerning keeping tangs

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back