Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Long Nose Hawk, A Clownfish and a Cleaner Wrasse. For the most part, everything has gone well except that I have noticed that the cleaner seems to target the Long Nose Hawk disproportionately compared to the other fish for his cleaning service. The Long Nose hawk appears to be "annoyed" as he tenses up his dorsal fins and re-adjusts his body on his rock as to move himself away from the cleaner wrasse. What I am trying to figure out is if this behavior is going to stress the Hawk out enough in the long-run to cause him harm. Will the Hawk defend itself if the pestering gets too severe?

The LFS owner led me to believe the cleaner wrasse would be a good fish to have in my tank, however, I am now reading that they are better suited for larger tanks with large amounts of bigger fish. I have no doubt that I can satisfy its food requirements as it readily eats Mysis and Brine shrimp, but I am starting to question whether or not it is a good idea to keep him. If the pestering becomes an issue I will find a local aquarist who will take him.

Avast

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you were led astray there. They definitely can harass fish too much. It's a good sign that you got it eating frozen but in the wild they eat almost completely from other fish so it is a fish for large heavily stocked systems. I have a captive bred one which are generally better and it does annoy a couple fish but with 16 other fish it gets spread around.

They are high energy fish so you might be able to distract it by giving it obstacles to swim through and mine also likes to play with sheets of nori. However I'd personally look to re-home it if that doesn't work. It just sounds its a bit early for such a needy fish in your tank.

A lesson I think we all learn here is to research before (or even at the LFS), the LFS will always look to make a sale and only tell you the good things about a fish.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS
Back