Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, i gotten myself a Blue star leopard wrasse 3 weeks back. It's been hiding for 4 days and successfully accustom to my tank & it was eating well so far. It did ate pods from tank as well as pellets/flakes. Occasionally i fed it mysis, it did ate it too.

But lately my yellow coris wrasse had been harrasing it until yesterday i saw the leopard was laying on sandbed, but it still response to feeding and ate it, just that after it ate it will swim its usual place and laying there.
I tried to catch out the coris but failed, thus i put the leopard in a box with sandbed. It still laying on bed, eat if she saw it, but most of the time just laying. But during her sleep time, she would still dig into sandbed and sleep.
Forgot to mentioned it was breathing quite heavily as well.

Is there anything i could do to help ?

20230208_145526.jpg

AS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a video of it? I'd like to see how fast its breathing is.

I'm going to rule out water quality issues due to the corals in the photo. That leaves gill parasites or some systemic disease as the cause of the rapid breathing.

Jay

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on this fish breathing faster than 170 gill beats per minute. In general terms, anything above around 100 is cause for concern, above 150 shows severe issues and above 200 often results in respiratory collapse.

Trouble is, there are a variety of causes from rapid breathing. I think we've ruled out water quality. That leaves some disease issue. Gill diseases can certainly cause this, but so can systemic internal diseases. the latter are typically not treatable - Coccidia, myxosporidians, etc.

That leaves two more common, more easily treatable gill parasites - Amyloodinium (velvet) or gill flukes. Flukes are the more common, and more likely to have the fish still try to eat while sick. The typical treatment for this is Prazipro, 8 days apart, with good aeration. That is mostly a reef safe treatment. However, bear in mind that if the fish has a severe fluke infestation and you treat it, all of the flukes will drop off at once, possibly causing the fish to bleed out and die from anemia.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion
Back