Blue Spotted Jawfish tips appreciated

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was out of the hobby for 4 years but made a comeback with a 158 gallon tank. Designed my new tank system to accommodate a Bsj, and acquired one a month ago. The Jawfish seems to be doing well, has a nice burrow in the sand bed with shell and coral pieces, and ventures out of his den when the lights are dim. Got my water temp set at 76 degrees and think I have most my bases covered for success. Got a tank lid also. My question would be about feeding. I’ve been target feeding the Bsj to ensure there is enough food in his area to go after. He seems a little bit on the leaner side and I’m diligently trying to give him plenty to feast on. Found PE Mysis is the most preferred by all tank mates thus far, but the Bsj isn’t an aggressive eater, and goes after one or two bites, that’s it, then all my sand sifting snails convoy to his area, wrecking his burrow in there wake.. There are 4 feedings total throughout the day. Interested in hearing some tips for success in keeping this fish healthy and fed. Any of you know a special food that is preferred by a Bsj?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls post a picture or video showing the tank, his cave, himself, and his tank mates.

He should be well accustomed to the tank after one month and snatching food as they fall or come by so I wonder what’s going on.

Have you tried larger food like a medium size pellet or smaller food like regular mysis or spirulina brine?

OP
OP
Nordy

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pls post a picture or video showing the tank, his cave, himself, and his tank mates.

He should be well accustomed to the tank after one month and snatching food as they fall or come by so I wonder what’s going on.

Have you tried larger food like a medium size pellet or smaller food like regular mysis or spirulina brine

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While 76 may be ok, I have heard they need cooler water then that for long term health. Like 72 to 74 because they live in colder ocean water so good luck with yours. Sounds like you are trying your best.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure if these will load for you guys or there descent quality for viewing. I’ll try a few pictures later.
Video works if it's opened via a PC.

Anyways, your tank has a lot of room & there is very little fish & there are some frags. I see a leopard wrasse, hawk fish, and maybe another fish that I don't recall but all of them aren't intimidating to the BJF. Is the corner his only cave or is it everywhere along the foundation of your rock work? I also see a lot of inverts. Are they all alive? The reason I ask is that I'm unsure why you have so many when the tank is actually quite low on fish & corals. Blue light is used heavily in the video so it's hard to tell if the tank is well-established or not. A video of it with just white light would be better.

OP
OP
Nordy

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone’s time to view and respond to me. There are many empty shells, I bought a 100 of them in anticipation of adding more hermit crabs down the road. Currently have a lot of sand sifting snails, 2 giraffe serpent stars and about 12 hermits. I’m guilty of being a heavy feeder, and I’ll do almost anything to keep inverts and fish well fed. Refugium is definitely a key player to low nutrients in my tank, and last I tested over the weekend, phosphate barely came in at less than .03, Nitrate was 0.The substrate is very disproportionate throughout the tanks bottom, but I originally put in close to 4 inches throughout, and the tanks flow redistributed it. Only have 5 fish at the moment and I really enjoy that because they are very peaceful amongst each other, but eventually I’ll max at 11 fish. I tend to like smaller fish because I really did a lot of aquascaping and there’s not a ton of negative open areas to swim. The corner is his only cave. He’s moved 3 times, but been in the corner for about 2 and a half weeks. Here is another video with white light only.

OP
OP
Nordy

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate everyone’s time to view and respond to me. There are many empty shells, I bought a 100 of them in anticipation of adding more hermit crabs down the road. Currently have a lot of sand sifting snails, 2 giraffe serpent stars and about 12 hermits. I’m guilty of being a heavy feeder, and I’ll do almost anything to keep inverts and fish well fed. Refugium is definitely a key player to low nutrients in my tank, and last I tested over the weekend, phosphate barely came in at less than .03, Nitrate was 0.The substrate is very disproportionate throughout the tanks bottom, but I originally put in close to 4 inches throughout, and the tanks flow redistributed it. Only have 5 fish at the moment and I really enjoy that because they are very peaceful amongst each other, but eventually I’ll max at 11 fish. I tend to like smaller fish because I really did a lot of aquascaping and there’s not a ton of negative open areas to swim. The corner is his only cave. He’s moved 3 times, but been in the corner for about 2 and a half weeks. Here is another video with white light only.

OP
OP
Nordy

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in a partial piece of a thawed frozen cube soaked in garlic. Watched it go about 3 inches from his burrow, and he didn’t go for it. This video is of some Nassarius snails getting his meal.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.mov
    19.1 MB

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put in a partial piece of a thawed frozen cube soaked in garlic. Watched it go about 3 inches from his burrow, and he didn’t go for it. This video is of some Nassarius snails getting his meal.
I would try removing some of those inserts, turn the flow off, and turn the lights off and give it a try again.

OP
OP
Nordy

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would other reef inhabitants fair by lowering the temp a few degrees from 76 Fahrenheit? Things are stable with current temp and I was hopeful for having a wide variety of inhabitants. Kept my first tank around 77, but wanted to try a whole new variety of sea creatures in this build.

OP
OP
Nordy

Nordy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get the flow under control and try with no lights, the Bsj will venture to the other side of the tank when lights go out.

Largeangels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try use something like Hikari mysis (PE mysis may be too big for it) and turn the flow up so they are passing by at a fairly good speed making them look alive to see if that changes things. Sometimes that initiates a feeding response.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back