Blue Damselfish dead after using Fritz Algae Clean Out. What Next?

BRS

willforr

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perfectly healthy damselfish just died. I dosed the recommended serving of fritz algae clean out a few days ago because of some hair algae issues. I’ve heard reviews of this product killing all their fish, but I decided to go with it anyway because it was recommended to me by someone who used it and it worked. I’m planning a large water change soon, but other than that, is there anything else I can do to possibly keep my other fish?

BRS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

taricha

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz Algae Clean Out is the same polyquat algaecide as Algaefix (Vibrant etc.) and by directions, will result in the same concentration in the water as Algaefix. (5.4% instead of 4.5% , 5mL per 60 gal instead of 5ml/50 gal)
In saltwater, this isn't a fish-killing risk. But the secondary effects from what algae it disrupts may cause issues.
Can you describe any other observations about the tank after this application? signs of stress, low O2, fish acting weirdly?
I'd run GAC like you said you are and be sure to aerate strongly. The decomposition of algae products released by affected algae could lower O2. Remove as much algae as you can, live or dead.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration
Back