+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys looking for some advice.

I purchased an anemone from a seller and in my opinion what arrived was not the same as advertised, and in fact appears very well bleached. The anemone does glow under UV but in my experience, most anemones do when bleached.

I would like the community's input. First is this a bleached anemone, and second is there any way that this is the same as what was pictured/sold to me?

The first two photos are what was advertised as WYSIWYG. The 3rd and 4th photos are what arrived today.

Side note, the seller has a very good history. He had great communication and the anemone was packed phenomenally well. I'm just very confused... and really need some outside perspective.

BAA495C5-7BF6-425B-8306-8D1AC287ED29.jpeg AE23E41F-FDC8-44EB-A193-F7F1C1C92AB4.jpeg 20230210_182627.jpg 20230210_182705.jpg

Last edited:

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna go with the seller on this one. It was a "Blue Light Special" and you seem to have a good linage for potential but the current nem is small and weak. Feed it well, hopefully it doesnt wander into a powerhead and grows into the nem you were hoping to get. IF it is healthy it can grow fairly quickly into a more pleasing size, and the coloration should be ok down the road.
Sad state of the hobby, ime.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just small and weak, cut too many time. You have to nurse it back. Thinks of it as a baby fish with great potential but needs to grow. It is not bleached.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
slickcg33

slickcg33

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just small and weak, cut too many time. You have to nurse it back. Thinks of it as a baby fish with great potential but needs to grow. It is not bleached.
Thank you for the replies, bit frustrating that I have to nurse something back that I paid a decent amount of money for.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So guys looking for some advice.

I purchased an anemone from a seller and in my opinion what arrived was not the same as advertised, and in fact appears very well bleached. The anemone does glow under UV but in my experience, most anemones do when bleached.

I would like the community's input. First is this a bleached anemone, and second is there any way that this is the same as what was pictured/sold to me?

The first two photos are what was advertised as WYSIWYG. The 3rd and 4th photos are what arrived today.

Side note, the seller has a very good history. He had great communication and the anemone was packed phenomenally well. I'm just very confused... and really need some outside perspective.

View attachment 3016000 View attachment 3016009 View attachment 3016010 View attachment 3016011
Do you have the picture of the WYSIWYG pic of anemone sent to you from the seller. I only see bunch of Anenomes in the first two pics. Not sure if you got to see the pic of which one the seller was sending you.

OP
OP
slickcg33

slickcg33

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the picture of the WYSIWYG pic of anemone sent to you from the seller. I only see bunch of Anenomes in the first two pics. Not sure if you got to see the pic of which one the seller was sending you.
He asked for me to pick one out from the second photo, but I told him it was difficult to tell due to the quality of photo. He stated he would choose the biggest and best one for me :thinking-face:

Last edited:

SamsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That should be a lesson learnt. Anytime you are ordering online, it’s always a good idea to ask for the picture of the coral that you would receive, unless you have prior experience. Sorry, it’s not helping you for this time but it would be helpful in the future.
Sam

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it Silversides, available from PetCo. Cut the Silversides in Small pieces and feed the entire piece, bones, guts, and all, etc. If you have a FoodSaver, I’d divide it up and put it in the Deep Freeze.

OP
OP
slickcg33

slickcg33

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must say. I stand corrected... my mind is absolutely blown. I don't understand how something can appear so drastically different in different lighting from one day to the next.

This anemone still has a bit of darker color to gain back in my opinion, but my initial reaction was wrong. The seller did well...

20230211_152042.jpg 20230211_152132.jpg 20230211_152136.jpg

Last edited:
CLICK TO VIEW

D-Nak

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed it Silversides, available from PetCo. Cut the Silversides in Small pieces and feed the entire piece, bones, guts, and all, etc. If you have a FoodSaver, I’d divide it up and put it in the Deep Freeze.
There are a lot better--and safer--foods than silversides. Some anemone deaths have been linked to silversides that have gone bad somewhere along the supply chain. The bones and guts are likely culprits.

Better recommendations are frozen mysis, or sushi grade tuna or salmon.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He asked for me to pick one out from the second photo, but I told him it was difficult to tell due to the quality of photo. He stated he would choose the biggest and best one for me :thinking-face:
How big is it? It looks very small in the first photo (definitely better in the subsequent ones). I can't imagine that one being the biggest and best since it looks barely over a couple of inches in that first photo. That said, it does look MUCH better in your tank and it'll probably do just fine.

MartinM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot better--and safer--foods than silversides. Some anemone deaths have been linked to silversides that have gone bad somewhere along the supply chain. The bones and guts are likely culprits.

Better recommendations are frozen mysis, or sushi grade tuna or salmon.

Always human grade, and also avoid oysters! I make my own frozen food from all sashimi grade shrimp, scallops, fish eggs and mussels, then add astaxanthin powder, spirulina powder, mysids or arctipods from Reef Nutrition, some powdered coral food (I have lots of brands), and selcon. After blending, put it in a ziploc bag and flat freeze it. It’s great for the whole tank!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find light more important than food for my bubble tips. I haven't fed in years and they are huge but sit under 350 par
Same for me. The key is to give them enough light. With a healthy zoox population they don't need to be fed at all.

World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back