Bleach vs Velvet

RippinReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In July I lost 7 out of 9 fish to velvet. I moved those two fish into a QT and went 46 days fallow. The fallow period was not successful. The tank had been started in April originally and had 2 tester corals, so I decided to break the tank down and bleach it. I originally had some man made rock that I wanted to change out for Marco rock, anyway. I bleached the tank with tap water and let it run for a week. I bleached the rock I kept(about 40lbs) for 4 days, pressure washed it, then I put it in the hot Texas sun for 4 days. I trashed the sand. I made sure to wipe the tank, equipment really well with rodi water. I then rebuilt my scape, filled the tank with RODI water let it run for a few days, then drained it and let it sit dry for a few days. Now, the tank is cycled and possibly ready for livestock, but I’m nervous. My plan is to introduce an inexpensive fish or a freshwater Molly. The total time elapsed from draining to filling has only been 30 days. I do have a 25w a uv sterilizer plumbed in. My question is, should I just wait 36 more days to try to stock the tank? Thanks for any feedback

IMG_0202.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In July I lost 7 out of 9 fish to velvet. I moved those two fish into a QT and went 46 days fallow. The fallow period was not successful. The tank had been started in April originally and had 2 tester corals, so I decided to break the tank down and bleach it. I originally had some man made rock that I wanted to change out for Marco rock, anyway. I bleached the tank with tap water and let it run for a week. I bleached the rock I kept(about 40lbs) for 4 days, pressure washed it, then I put it in the hot Texas sun for 4 days. I trashed the sand. I made sure to wipe the tank, equipment really well with rodi water. I then rebuilt my scape, filled the tank with RODI water let it run for a few days, then drained it and let it sit dry for a few days. Now, the tank is cycled and possibly ready for livestock, but I’m nervous. My plan is to introduce an inexpensive fish or a freshwater Molly. The total time elapsed from draining to filling has only been 30 days. I do have a 25w a uv sterilizer plumbed in. My question is, should I just wait 36 more days to try to stock the tank? Thanks for any feedback

IMG_0202.jpeg
I would have not used bleach but its rarely lethal to livestock. What you can do is apply Ruby Rally pro to the tank with new fish which addresses velvet, bacterial and other issues and is reef/invert safe as an insurance policy

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_0202.jpeg

The process that you outlined would be sufficient to eradicate all common fish parasites.

The big issue is "biosecurity" - people run fallow, or sterilize their tank, but then it gets reinfected because they don't quarantine the new animals.

Here is an article on biosecurity:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

Here is a post on a good quarantine protocol:

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RippinReefs

RippinReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The process that you outlined would be sufficient to eradicate all common fish parasites.

The big issue is "biosecurity" - people run fallow, or sterilize their tank, but then it gets reinfected because they don't quarantine the new animals.

Here is an article on biosecurity:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

Here is a post on a good quarantine protocol:

Jay
Thank you, jay. I appreciate you taking the time

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RippinReefs

RippinReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have not used bleach but it’s rarely lethal to livestock. What you can do is apply Ruby Rally pro to the tank with new fish which addresses velvet, bacterial and other issues and is reef/invert safe as an insurance policy
I wasn’t at a point where I wanted to wait an additional 3 months, when I knew I wanted to ditch about 30lbs of “eco rock”. The look was very unnatural and it had to go. I have since set up two QT tanks. I’ll look up ruby rally pro. Thanks

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back