+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My Hawaiian Black Triggerfish, for the last week has been acting weird , he moves around the bottom of the tank but he seems to have lost his buoyancy. I cannot figure out what had caused this , does anyone have any idea what the issue could be ? Please help me , I love this fish and want to get him healthy.

Attachments

• PXL_20221210_185303587.mp4
    51.7 MB
Corals.com
Nutramar Foods

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a call out for the fish disease experts on this site. Kind of like the batman sign in the night sky :)

But more like Bioluminescent Algae stirred up by aggressive tangs​

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My Hawaiian Black Triggerfish, for the last week has been acting weird , he moves around the bottom of the tank but he seems to have lost his buoyancy. I cannot figure out what had caused this , does anyone have any idea what the issue could be ? Please help me , I love this fish and want to get him healthy.

I was able to download your video - odd, it looks like the fish cannot see properly. It is breathing o.k., and has no other major symptoms, but it is bumping along the bottom like it can't see.

Can you give us more background information? This link explains what info is helpful:

Jay

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to download your video - odd, it looks like the fish cannot see properly. It is breathing o.k., and has no other major symptoms, but it is bumping along the bottom like it can't see.

Can you give us more background information? This link explains what info is helpful:

Jay
I will work on a info list tomorrow

It is a fish only tank , with live rock, Lifereef skimmer, Turbo aquatics algae scrubber, I feed nori sheets , brine shrimp, mysis shrimp daily

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trigger is still having same issue , he hides in rocks or under rocks , he looks healthy other than he cannot swim up in the water column, he kind of just bob's along the bottom. This is the most puzzling thing I have ever seen in a fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trigger is still having same issue , he hides in rocks or under rocks , he looks healthy other than he cannot swim up in the water column, he kind of just bob's along the bottom. This is the most puzzling thing I have ever seen in a fish
Is it feeding?
When I first looked at the video, I thought it might be blind, but I looked at it again just now and I wonder if it has a negative
Buoyancy issue. If it can see food to eat, then it isn’t blind.
Jay

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it feeding?
When I first looked at the video, I thought it might be blind, but I looked at it again just now and I wonder if it has a negative
Buoyancy issue. If it can see food to eat, then it isn’t blind.
Jay
He is definitely eating, he just swims around the bottom of the tank and eats , he has not lost any body mass at all. He was the tank master before and always a great eater. He still wedges in rocks like he always used to and like most triggers do

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will work on a info list tomorrow

It is a fish only tank , with live rock, Lifereef skimmer, Turbo aquatics algae scrubber, I feed nori sheets , brine shrimp, mysis shrimp daily
Please drop the brine shrimp from the menu. A low nutrient food. It can be replaced with ocean plankton (freeze-dried is good).

AquaCave Logo Banner

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is definitely eating, he just swims around the bottom of the tank and eats , he has not lost any body mass at all. He was the tank master before and always a great eater. He still wedges in rocks like he always used to and like most triggers do

O.K., then it isn't blind.

I can't say why it is negatively buoyant. It most likely involves some issue with the swim bladder. Most fish with swim bladder issues are positively buoyant, not negative like this. I've only seen a handful of cases over the years of this, and never found a "cure", just supportive therapy - feed it well, keep it away from aggressive fish, etc.

Try getting it to feed on some prepared pellets, I like New Life Spectrum. Roasted nori has little nutritional value and brine shrimp, if it has been thawed and refrozen during handling is also a poor food. Mysids are high in protein and fat, but need to be augmented with other, more balanced foods.

Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Weeb

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He never was a jumper and my tank is open on top. Possibly the injury could be from him moving a rock or something, I am honestly puzzled about it
How long have you had this fish? Do you know where it was collected, for sure? (I understand you said, "Hawaiian" but these fish have a broader range and can be collected at different locations.) Did you get this fish shipped to you or from your local marine fish store? Lastly, what do you think it's length is?

OP
OP
italquam

italquam

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ,
How long have you had this fish? Do you know where it was collected, for sure? (I understand you said, "Hawaiian" but these fish have a broader range and can be collected at different locations.) Did you get this fish shipped to you or from your local marine fish store? Lastly, what do you think it's length is?
Hi the fish is about 2 years I have had him, I actually rescued him from another hobbyist that bought a trigger and decided he no longer wanted aggressive fish. He is about 6 inches in size , unfortunately I don't have history or where he was from originally

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back