Biopellet channeling in reactor, what to do?

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

How does one fix channeling in the reactor? It started out fine, things were looking like a boiling poylt, but there was less and less movement as the days went by. Now it just looks like there are channels

I'm using a marine sources bpr 2.2 reactor and a 800 gph pump.. I think half inch id tubing

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

How does one fix channeling in the reactor? It started out fine, things were looking like a boiling poylt, but there was less and less movement as the days went by. Now it just looks like there are channels

I'm using a marine sources bpr 2.2 reactor and a 800 gph pump.. I think half inch id tubing
Are the pellets sticking together?

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look stuck together. But nothing is moving right now. You can see the channel in the front side

Attachments

• 17285850670096808050124636201240.jpg
    17285850670096808050124636201240.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 28

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look stuck together. But nothing is moving right now. You can see the channel in the front side
OK, random guesses now.

Has the flow rate slowed? Can you measure it?

Can you give the reactor a knock to see how jammed up the pellets are?

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, random guesses now.

Has the flow rate slowed? Can you measure it?

Can you give the reactor a knock to see how jammed up the pellets are?
A knock does the trick to get most of them moving again, still less than how much I had when it started, but after a few hours it channels again / slows down gradually.

As far as flow it is a new setup and don't believe anything is clogged, just by putting my hand over outlet it does feel like it's working properly. Comparing it with my 400 gph outlet, it is about double the pressure too, so it seems to be working properly.

Fyi I have a TLF 150 phosban reactor and bought the biopellet attachment for it on my other tank. it works like a charm with the same pellets, and amount of pellets. maybe due to its smaller more narrow shape it works better.... might end up getting another one if i dont figure a solution out .

Tazman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the media and clean the reactor. Check output screen. might be clogged with biofilms. I usually clean mine every 2 weeks. What brand of biopellets are you using ?

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take out the media and clean the reactor. Check output screen. might be clogged with biofilms. I usually clean mine every 2 weeks. What brand of biopellets are you using ?
its 1 week old :crying-face: it cant be clogged yet. its DVH all in one biopellets! i chose them cause they sound unique, though they are a little secretive about the ingredients

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it might be an issue with the reactor.. probably size too big .. I initially ordered the smaller one from this brand, but the design was different, and the seals could not handle 800 gph flow-- that one leaked. I thought upgrading bigger would solve my problem , but no luck with this brand so far.

OP
OP
GSnake

GSnake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i gave up and bought a 2nd TLF reactor with biopellet vortex adaptor. works good now

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back