Bicolor blenny missing an eye

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I noticed my bicolor blenny was more hidden than usual. Normally he is out in the rockwork perching and observing below. So today I checked on him and he is missing an eye! Instead of the eye there is the empty orbit with whitish tissue. I have seen him feeding a bit but I cannot tell if it's bacterial or an injury. The tank has recently been placed near another tank with wild collected fish, so I am a bit worried that some parasite/infection has crossed to the reef tank.. every other fish in both tank seem fine.
1000138719.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi all,
I noticed my bicolor blenny was more hidden than usual. Normally he is out in the rockwork perching and observing below. So today I checked on him and he is missing an eye! Instead of the eye there is the empty orbit with whitish tissue. I have seen him feeding a bit but I cannot tell if it's bacterial or an injury. The tank has recently been placed near another tank with wild collected fish, so I am a bit worried that some parasite/infection has crossed to the reef tank.. every other fish in both tank seem fine.
1000138719.jpg
This is unfortunate and likely from injury or retina damage. There is nothing you can do to restore it but Fish will be able to function without it. As long as not infected (slimed or redness). it will heal up. If infected, treat the fish with Maracyn for at least 5 days in a separate tank

1727535927370.png

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is unfortunate and likely from injury or retina damage. There is nothing you can do to restore it but Fish will be able to function without it. As long as not infected (slimed or redness). it will heal up. If infected, treat the fish with Maracyn for at least 5 days in a separate tank

1727535927370.png
Thanks! I will observe and check if he is doing well. I need to feed him separately I guess?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks! I will observe and check if he is doing well. I need to feed him separately I guess?
He should be able to see and find food even with the single eye. I have a bangaii cardinal with the same and does well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! The tale of Captain Benny has just started
1000138734.jpg
Most issues with just one eye if a fish stems from an injury. It may lose sight in that eye, but still can live a mostly normal life.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most issues with just one eye if a fish stems from an injury. It may lose sight in that eye, but still can live a mostly normal life.
Thanks for your feedback! I was trying to take a better picture. I never realized the orbit of a blenny eye was so big, it takes a big portion of the head. If it was bacterial it should show some signs on the other eye as well right?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fuzzy pics but fish will do fine moving forward
Yes unfortunately he decided to perch in this spot behind the rockwork and I can only take pictures angled from the glass, that's why it's blurred. Ok then! Is there anything I can do to avoid cross contamination between the tanks in case some WC fish has some diseases, aside from cleaning the tools between uses? At the moment I am cleaning pipettes, test vials and forceps with 96% alcool and paper towel. I am probably going to buy every tool in double copy so I risk even less. I had one shrimp jumping between tanks the other day and I was a bit worried about biosafety

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Yes unfortunately he decided to perch in this spot behind the rockwork and I can only take pictures angled from the glass, that's why it's blurred. Ok then! Is there anything I can do to avoid cross contamination between the tanks in case some WC fish has some diseases, aside from cleaning the tools between uses? At the moment I am cleaning pipettes, test vials and forceps with 96% alcool and paper towel. I am probably going to buy every tool in double copy so I risk even less. I had one shrimp jumping between tanks the other day and I was a bit worried about biosafety
I would not be too concerned with cross contamination however precautions are always helpful

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any disease that starts with the whitening of the lower eye portion and gradually spreads until consuming the eye? Because now I noticed that also the other eye has a white spot on the bottom but I kind of remember that it was already like that before

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any disease that starts with the whitening of the lower eye portion and gradually spreads until consuming the eye? Because now I noticed that also the other eye has a white spot on the bottom but I kind of remember that it was already like that before

Neobenedenia flukes will cause white cloudy eyes because the fluke, while clear and nearly invisible, will cause tissue changes to the clear parts of the eye. the general idea is if one eye is affected, it is most likely an injury, if both eyes are affected, it could be flukes (but can also be a double injury). However, these flukes don't cause the whole eye to become missing.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back