Best way to attach feet to a stand?

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new 75 gallon tank with a typical DIY stand. I'd spill water a lot more than I'd like to admit (mostly overflowing my RODI when filling containers :downcast-face-with-sweat: so I'd like to put feet on the stand and raise it up (6-8 feet rated at 550 lbs each) off the ground so I can dry up those inevitable spills instead of it just soaking into my hardwood floors/the stand and I can also then run cabling and such under the stand as needed.

I'm not sure how to go about attaching them the best way and hoping some people here have some feedback/ideas.

These are the feet I have:

1724161708543.png

(Note, yes there are wheels, no the tank will never be moved on the wheels once it has water in it, the feet lower down and lift it off the wheels.)

They're meant to be attached with bolts from the top but that's not realistic with the common 2x4 frame of the DIY stand.

I can only think of two options, because I'm not familiar with doing this kind of thing. :)

1) Sink decking screws or cabinet screws up through the holes into the stand frame. As this a screw as these holes allow. This would be the easiest option, but I think this would effectively be putting all of that weight into the screws which could just shear off at some point and a foot could fall off leading to a disaster. Maybe I'm over thinking that though and it's not a realistic concern?

2) get a sheet of 3/4 ply and countersink holes in it then attach the feet with bolts through the ply then glue/screw that plywood to the bottom frame of the stand. This seems like the sturdier option to me, but I'm not sure how that load gets spread across the ply.

3) another method I'm not thinking of?

phillyb614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m a construction superintendent and a carpenter by trade. Using cabinet screws should be more than fine. Your typical drywall/wood screw is rated for 200lbs of pressure. Recommending the cabinet screws because they have larger heads. Would be like using a washer.

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a construction superintendent and a carpenter by trade. Using cabinet screws should be more than fine. Your typical drywall/wood screw is rated for 200lbs of pressure. Recommending the cabinet screws because they have larger heads. Would be like using a washer.
Thanks for the feedback! Any particular length of screw you think I should be aiming for?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a new 75 gallon tank with a typical DIY stand. I'd spill water a lot more than I'd like to admit (mostly overflowing my RODI when filling containers :downcast-face-with-sweat: so I'd like to put feet on the stand and raise it up (6-8 feet rated at 550 lbs each) off the ground so I can dry up those inevitable spills instead of it just soaking into my hardwood floors/the stand and I can also then run cabling and such under the stand as needed.

I'm not sure how to go about attaching them the best way and hoping some people here have some feedback/ideas.

These are the feet I have:

1724161708543.png

(Note, yes there are wheels, no the tank will never be moved on the wheels once it has water in it, the feet lower down and lift it off the wheels.)

They're meant to be attached with bolts from the top but that's not realistic with the common 2x4 frame of the DIY stand.

I can only think of two options, because I'm not familiar with doing this kind of thing. :)

1) Sink decking screws or cabinet screws up through the holes into the stand frame. As this a screw as these holes allow. This would be the easiest option, but I think this would effectively be putting all of that weight into the screws which could just shear off at some point and a foot could fall off leading to a disaster. Maybe I'm over thinking that though and it's not a realistic concern?

2) get a sheet of 3/4 ply and countersink holes in it then attach the feet with bolts through the ply then glue/screw that plywood to the bottom frame of the stand. This seems like the sturdier option to me, but I'm not sure how that load gets spread across the ply.

3) another method I'm not thinking of?
If your never going to move it, why then?
Why not the pads and just stick to the bottom?
I use paper towels and just slide them under the stand. If it don't slide, that means water. Keep working it until it slides.

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your never going to move it, why then?
Why not the pads and just stick to the bottom?
I use paper towels and just slide them under the stand. If it don't slide, that means water. Keep working it until it slides.
There are multiple benefits: Easy leveling on my not perfectly level floor, increased tank height for viewing, and ability to get under the stand to run cables, tubing, clean spills, etc.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back