Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about switching to kalkwasser for increased benefit of ph. I already have a co2 scrubber which gets my ph to about 8.2 during the day, but it slips to 8 at night. I do not want to run a refugium and I do carbon dose. When is the best time to dose? Just flat 24 hour, or the nightly window when ph is lowest? Or split so maybe 1/3 dosed during the day and 2/3 at night? I will be using a dosing pump and possibly a diy kalk stirrer with some old equipment. I’ll be keeping my ato as it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about switching to kalkwasser for increased benefit of ph. I already have a co2 scrubber which gets my ph to about 8.2 during the day, but it slips to 8 at night. I do not want to run a refugium and I do carbon dose. When is the best time to dose? Just flat 24 hour, or the nightly window when ph is lowest? Or split so maybe 1/3 dosed during the day and 2/3 at night? I will be using a dosing pump and possibly a diy kalk stirrer with some old equipment. I’ll be keeping my ato as it.
I’ve done all 3 methods that you mention. If it’s the pH drop at night you want to improve, then at night is best. Some do it during the day because that’s when most of the alkalinity is consumed. I’ve settled on dosing slowly 24/7 because it just doesn’t seem to matter in my system.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use kalk for alk/Ca, and I just dose on a timer throughout the day. In most cases, I would guess that timing doesn't make a ton of difference.

How much is your daily alk consumption? Are you dosing alk in any other way, or just kalk?

OP
OP
C

Cflow

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk consumption isn’t huge. Probably 1 dkh a day. I was dosing b ionic which also does an okay job at buffering ph, but I’d prefer my baseline ph be at least above 8 at night. I noticed a huge improvement in my corals health when I increased my ph initially with a co2 scrubber.

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk consumption isn’t huge. Probably 1 dkh a day. I was dosing b ionic which also does an okay job at buffering ph, but I’d prefer my baseline ph be at least above 8 at night. I noticed a huge improvement in my corals health when I increased my ph initially with a co2 scrubber.
Nice. 1 dKH is getting close to the limit that limewater can dose, due to the daily evaporation.

I actually like your idea about dosing 1/3 during the day and the rest spaced out at night. I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you don't dump it all in at once.

Saltyanimals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. 1 dKH is getting close to the limit that limewater can dose, due to the daily evaporation.

I actually like your idea about dosing 1/3 during the day and the rest spaced out at night. I don't think you can go wrong, as long as you don't dump it all in at once.
Any results to share?

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back