Best PAR Requirements for Different Corals?

TCK Corals

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve finally mapped out my PAR levels throughout my DT. Most of it was as expected, but I found a couple of hot spots low in the tank I didn’t expect. They are where two of the Radion XR30 lights overlap. Those areas have Zoas and a few other LPS. I’ve looked all over at PAR requirements (specifically max PAR) for different species and for every 10 answers I find, there are 10 different PAR requirements stated for a particular coral group. Is there a master PAR guide that would give more concrete numbers to work with?

Here is what I’m looking at. I need to know whether I should move some corals. My Acro’s are currently all in a window of 200 to 280 Par. I feel I need to raise that about 50 Par. The ones that are at the low end of that 200-280 range aren’t looking that great. When I do, some of the guys in the bottom of the tank are going to see an increase as well. These are Zoas, Candy Cane and Goniopora. I’m trying to find a good max PAR reference for those corals to know if I need to move them to lower light areas or whether they can take the increased light where they are as I gradually increase the power level on the lights. Right now the Zoas are all between 100-200. Candy Cane is at 190. Goniopora s are at 115. I can already see the Candy Cane and Zoas that are at the 190-200 PAR level don’t look happy when the lights are at highest current levels.

CLICK TO VIEW

MelancholyBlenny

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen a list of corals with corresponding par numbers, maybe it exists but I've never seen it. People and companies keep corals at a lot of different par levels as most corals will adapt either right away or over time. I've always found it best to ask the seller what par they keep the specific coral under then match that par as closely as possible or put it in lower par then move it slowly to higher par if that's where you ultimately want it.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it sound like the acceptable “windows” for each coral group is quite flexible. I had kept the lights lower to keep the new tank algae in check, but I think it’s time now to start tweaking the lights up a bit. Here is where they are now. I’m thinking go up 1% a week and watch to see if any of the lower level corals start closing up during the peak light times. I would like to get all the top tier (Acros) above 250 And the mid level Montis above 200.

619EDF8D-C5E7-4FA3-8D3B-5D3A087FEBE0.jpeg

legalizedreefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I would do:

1. go back in with a PAR meter and crank up your intensity until you have the PAR you’re looking for in regards to those acros

2. take note of what intensity brings you that PAR

3. Set your intensity back to where it is now

4. increase your intensity by 1-2% every couple of days, working up towards that intensity you marked down in step 2

This way, you are only moving up a few percent at a time. You’ll be able to visually see the response in your corals. If you notice they are disliking the intensity you can stop with the incremental changes and even work backward a couple % until you find the sweet spot where you’re giving your acros as much light as possible without stressing your lower light corals.

Nutramar Foods

MelancholyBlenny

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If everything seems to be doing well I would just go slow, all my corals were doing well but I knew could be doing better with higher levels so I raised my Radions from a 65% schedule to a 90% schedule over the course of 2 months. Nothing good happens fast in reefing. You can set mobius to bring the lights up to a set schedule percent automatically over a set period of time by using the acclimation setting. If you do use this it is a little weird to understand, it will lower your lighting by the percent you put in the box. So if your lights are currently at 65% but you want your lights at 90% you should raise them in the mobius app to 90% percent. Then in the acclimation section use the percent of 90 that matches the old 65%. In this case it would be 72%.

I may have made this more convoluted than it needs to be but it confused the hell out of me when I first set it up.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox220.6. 72x24x22.5. Lights are 4 Radion XR30 Blue Gen 5s 8” above the tank. Highest rock (center) is 9” below the top rim, so 17” below the lights. Figured that would be enough room for coral growth. I’ve only got the lights at about 30% power right now. lots of capability to move up.

Nutramar Foods

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind par values are not equal. 200 from white channels is not the same as 200 from blue/violet. Blues/violets are can lead.to photosaturation at lower par levels that let's say the white channel on a light

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind par values are not equal. 200 from white channels is not the same as 200 from blue/violet. Blues/violets are can lead.to photosaturation at lower par levels that let's say the white channel on a light

This is the mid day schedule right now. My intent is slowly increase the reds and greens to 10% and the overall intensity to where the program line is. I’m not smart enough yet to know how the different combinations will affect the PAR.

4C3F2B7A-B832-4E26-B568-79A06FBCAEAF.png

AquaCave Logo Banner
Top Shelf Aquatics

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think ur using them to their full potential. I have the pros and I have 2 xr15 g5 on my 36” Red Sea xl300 and I’m using ab+ at 90% schedule intensity for 12pp. 10 of which are at 90%. Just got some xr30 g5’s and I’m gonna throw some more light at my sps. More coverage.

MelancholyBlenny

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t think ur using them to their full potential. I have the pros and I have 2 xr15 g5 on my 36” Red Sea xl300 and I’m using ab+ at 90% schedule intensity for 12pp. 10 of which are at 90%. Just got some xr30 g5’s and I’m gonna throw some more light at my sps. More coverage.
I have the exact same setup but over a reefer 250 for 10 hr photo period. I am gonna try a t5 hybrid for more coverage though.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think AB+ runs everything close to max, but you can adjust the overall intensity down to the level you want. Guys, I like a 13 year old on his first trip to the house of I’ll repute. I think I know what I want to do, but I’m not real sure of how to do it yet.

To be honest, WWC set this program for me to start the tank and get it through the ugly stage. That’s past now, so I need to move to what I need, but not how me into an algae battle.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if algae isn’t an issue now, run the ab+ at 60% I’m sure ur par will increase. The numbers u posted will support the metabolic functions of ur corals and the sps w benefit with a proven spectral setting.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back