Best one-time clean up and ongoing control for Bubble Algae?

Deltec

Singspot

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for direct specific treatment for "Bubble Algae". This is an ask for knowledge sharing from anyone have personally tried and killed/ eradicated bubble algae in large mixed reef tank with lots fishes.

I understand water parameters is the real-solution. I am looking for treatment and management solutions for Bubble Algae.

Months back, I had Cyano and the Hair Algae - @SamsReef and Reefco (LFS in NJ) suggested using Chemiclean for Cyano and Flux RX for hair algae - the suggestions are 100% spot on and works fully. There may be other options but I use these since they work.

Looking for similar solution for Bubble Algae:
1. one-time clean-up/ wipe out treatment?
2. ongoing control/ management?

Any experience with acanthurus tang (which works best and is hardy?)?
Emerald crab for ongoing is likely not going to work - the crab is too slow to fix a 8 ft tank and I worry crab may hurt my other animals - shrimp/ corals/ small fishes

Also, does anyone with experience with Vibrant vs. Reef HD Reef Flux?

(Reference thread on Reef HD ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/killing-bubble-algae-with-reef-hd-reef-flux.353069/ would like to understand if is it safe to use 4x doze of an anti-fungal for algae)

AS

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just me but I would rather have a few emeralds in my tanks than dumping a chemical stew in there that could really cause issues for you in other ways. They worked fine for both of my tanks. I've got maybe a dozen or more scattered in both of my tanks and sumps. I've never seen them touch anything they weren't supposed to. If they have enough to eat why would they? Completely eradicated my bubble algae too.

World Wide Corals

SamsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking for direct specific treatment for "Bubble Algae". This is an ask for knowledge sharing from anyone have personally tried and killed/ eradicated bubble algae in large mixed reef tank with lots fishes.

I understand water parameters is the real-solution. I am looking for treatment and management solutions for Bubble Algae.

Months back, I had Cyano and the Hair Algae - @SamsReef and Reefco (LFS in NJ) suggested using Chemiclean for Cyano and Flux RX for hair algae - the suggestions are 100% spot on and works fully. There may be other options but I use these since they work.

Looking for similar solution for Bubble Algae:
1. one-time clean-up/ wipe out treatment?
2. ongoing control/ management?

Any experience with acanthurus tang (which works best and is hardy?)?
Emerald crab for ongoing is likely not going to work - the crab is too slow to fix a 8 ft tank and I worry crab may hurt my other animals - shrimp/ corals/ small fishes

Also, does anyone with experience with Vibrant vs. Reef HD Reef Flux?

(Reference thread on Reef HD ... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/killing-bubble-algae-with-reef-hd-reef-flux.353069/ would like to understand if is it safe to use 4x doze of an anti-fungal for algae)
Naso tangs (6 inches plus) are voracious bubble algae eaters.

Sam

Top Shelf Aquatics

SamsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Same as you do for GHA. Manual removal is required if your tank is not big enough for some algae eating tang. Pithos crabs work too.
Unfortunately it’s a 8 feet tank. Manual removal will be a PITA.

Sam

Top Shelf Aquatics

SamsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh nice, then you have fish options and crab options for a natural remedy.
It’s not for my tank. The OPs tank @Singspot is the one looking for options. Natural remedy is the way to go here.

Sam

Top Shelf Aquatics

tigre44

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 emerald crabs in my 55 gal tank and can’t see much reduction in bubble algae. I hand scrape some of it. Don’t want to do chemical treatment. May try a fox face if I can find a small one. Other than that I just live with it.

Nutramar Foods
Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back