Best magnesium test kit?

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a red sea magnesium pro test kit as of right now but i’m not that happy with the results.
They seem inconsistent and not that accurate. I plan on switching the kit with another brand (maybe salifert) but still don’t know which is the best. What do you guys use?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a red sea magnesium pro test kit as of right now but i’m not that happy with the results.
They seem inconsistent and not that accurate. I plan on switching the kit with another brand (maybe salifert) but still don’t know which is the best. What do you guys use?
The best test is an ICP-MS

None of the hobby kits are worthwhile and you are better off not testing at all.
Basing dosing on data given by any hobby test kit is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best test is an ICP-MS

None of the hobby kits are worthwhile and you are better off not testing at all.
Basing dosing on data given by any hobby test kit is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Randy's ideas sound good in a perfect world till you get a bad bucket of salt and wake up to 700 mag. Then you can't figure out what the heck is going on because the RMM method says not to test. Hmm. Great idea

Salifert works just fine for magnesium.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's ideas sound good in a perfect world till you get a bad bucket of salt and wake up to 700 mag. Then you can't figure out what the heck is going on because the RMM method says not to test. Hmm. Great idea

Randy's works well in the real world, because the likelihood of receiving a 'bad bucket' is much lower than the likelihood of getting a bad test result even with a good test kit.

Salifert works just fine if you're happy with a kit accurate to about +/-200 ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Best method: no test at all.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don’t agree.

IMO, most cases of 700 ppm magnesium are test error that get “fixed”, pushing a real 1300 ppm to 1900 ppm.

I think testing magnesium to avoid a bad batch is more likely to cause problems than avoid them.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t agree.

IMO, most cases of 700 ppm magnesium are test error that get “fixed”, pushing a real 1300 ppm to 1900 ppm.

I think testing magnesium to avoid a bad batch is more likely to cause problems than avoid them.
Like I said " in a perfect world " as we are all aware isn't the case your plan sounds great.
I have 2 buckets of reef crystals mixing in the low 9s and one mixing at 1350 all confirmed by spectrum. So when I test a bucket at 920 and spectrum gets 960 out of it I'm gonna venture to say salifert was close enough. Instant ocean is not the only manufacturer who has been having consistency issues lately especially with magnesium which I think is the most expensive ingredient but could be mistaken.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's works well in the real world, because the likelihood of receiving a 'bad bucket' is much lower than the likelihood of getting a bad test result even with a good test kit.

Salifert works just fine if you're happy with a kit accurate to about +/-200 ppm.
Randy can speak for himself, I never knew him to need a secretary.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back