Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give a list of good LFS's for livestock in Chicago area? I have no issue finding any type of coral or anemone I could possibly want, but livestock? Not many places with a large amount in store. I tried ORD, but that place kind of seems scary. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Guess I should clarify and say fish.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Daddio64

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm east of you in Deerfield, there's a local guy I like "Fish Planet" all of the coral I've bought from him have done well, anemones I have a hard time with, probably me. Also "Reef Geeks" in Northbrook pretty good Facebook page. "Beyond the Reef" in Schaumburg has a good variety of stuff. "Aquarium Adventure" they say Hoffman Estates I think It's Schaumburg only a couple blocks away from Beyond the Reef.

vinz4u

Community Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give a list of good LFS's for livestock in Chicago area? I have no issue finding any type of coral or anemone I could possibly want, but livestock? Not many places with a large amount in store. I tried ORD, but that place kind of seems scary. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Guess I should clarify and say fish.
Sho tank in mundelien is decent. I was planning to get fish from ORD Aquatics. As one of my friends recommended that place. They do have a good quarantine process. Always get the fish from the 3rd level tanks. The first two are copper treated and some people get from those tanks. I have ordered a tang gang and am waiting for the quarantine process currently. Also there is one more place called 650 oceans reef in Arlington heights. He has an excellent livestock collection. A little more pricier but seems to have a good quarantine process too

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

AtlantiCat

That Weirdo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should you travel South at all, Aquatica in Tinley Park has pretty good stock of both corals and fish, but they tend to sell out of a lot of things very quickly on the weekends. Call on a weekday to see if they have what you need or can get it for you.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far are you willing to extend 'Chicagoland' out to?

Naperville - Blue Line Coral on Ogden Ave.

Aurora - Reefs Plus

Elgin - Sea Escapes

Schaumberg area - Beyond The Reef (Better than they were before, but still low on my list)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Tcat1k

Tcat1k

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted another thread about not being able to find fish. I’m in Hyde Park and the fish selection in the Chicagoland area is lacking.
Yeah, for as large as a metropolitan area as Chicagoland is, it lacks a surprisingly large number of goods and services. Professional sports talent is another fine example.

AtlantiCat

That Weirdo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted another thread about not being able to find fish. I’m in Hyde Park and the fish selection in the Chicagoland area is lacking.
Have you tried Old Town Aquarium? I haven't been there in years, but they had a good selection last I was there.

3000kelvin

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Old Town Aquarium? I haven't been there in years, but they had a good selection last I was there.
The problem with that store is that they’re open 3 days a week and for just a few hours. I’m only off Mondays and Tuesdays and almost all the stores are closed at least one of those days.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will also agree that Sho-Tank is Mundelein used to be amazing, but I understand they have a new owner now, and I haven't been there since that change of ownership, so I can't speak on whether things have improved or diminished.

FatClownfish

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend Aquarium Adventure. Their fish normally come in sick, and I've bought a couple of fish, and they died within a week of me keeping them. I recommend a store called 650 ocean reef in Palatine. They just opened recently, and they have a big selection of fish. They have a Facebook page where they post their fish to see if they have what you're looking for.

AtlantiCat

That Weirdo
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with that store is that they’re open 3 days a week and for just a few hours. I’m only off Mondays and Tuesdays and almost all the stores are closed at least one of those days.
Contact them? Most fish stores that are only open towards the weekends will do a private showing for you on request, especially if you're looking for something specific.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back