Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still cycling but looking to see what the recommended filter media is for this tank. I plan on getting the Red Sea reef mat eventually but until then I’ll need something.
700B38A9-A47D-43DA-9D5E-6D56D31779A9.jpeg
0F427AB7-27D4-4901-934A-3D0E18BDAC1B.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is still cycling but looking to see what the recommended filter media is for this tank. I plan on getting the Red Sea reef mat eventually but until then I’ll need something. View attachment 2929611View attachment 2929612
I’m guessing you’re asking about what media to put in the media basket? I’ll follow along to see what other people recommend.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what we're talking about by "media". If you're looking for pure filtration, the 100-micron Red Sea filter socks are the best (the 200-micron nylon mesh socks are great for extended vacations as they don't clog up as quickly and are far easier to clean). With the media basket any kind of filter floss will work (just make sure there's enough to cover the slots in the side).

If we're talking about activated carbon and/or GFO, I don't recommend running these in the media baskets because they quickly clog up with detritus and this really limits their effectiveness. You can place them in a bag (after rinsing) in the sump somewhere there's adequate flow although I prefer running them in separate reactors myself.

With respect to the actual media itself, Nyos has hands down the best carbon and GFO followed by Red Sea for carbon.

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what we're talking about by "media". If you're looking for pure filtration, the 100-micron Red Sea filter socks are the best (the 200-micron nylon mesh socks are great for extended vacations as they don't clog up as quickly and are far easier to clean). With the media basket any kind of filter floss will work (just make sure there's enough to cover the slots in the side).

If we're talking about activated carbon and/or GFO, I don't recommend running these in the media baskets because they quickly clog up with detritus and this really limits their effectiveness. You can place them in a bag (after rinsing) in the sump somewhere there's adequate flow although I prefer running them in separate reactors myself.

With respect to the actual media itself, Nyos has hands down the best carbon and GFO followed by Red Sea for carbon.
@gTrezona Id listen to him, he helped me a lot with basics and understanding stuff other people complicated. Definitely one user on here I’ve begun to trust

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is media to me. A Red Sea Reef mat 500 and a lot of ceramic Bioballs.
And the loofah, lol. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I've been adding Polyp Lab's new Genesis Rocks and I'm really impressed with the quality. They're dense and hard like an actual brick (no crumbling, chipping, etc. So far I've got eight (8) of them in my tank in various combinations to encourage ammonia-nitrite and nitrite-nitrate conversion.

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the loofah, lol. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I've been adding Polyp Lab's new Genesis Rocks and I'm really impressed with the quality. They're dense and hard like an actual brick (no crumbling, chipping, etc. So far I've got eight (8) of them in my tank in various combinations to encourage ammonia-nitrite and nitrite-nitrate conversion.
I purchased a few marine pure blocks but had to send 2 back since they were broken. I have one in the tank currently, thinking to maybe order these instead? Their website says one brick is enough for 350 gallons, so 2 should be good 700 gallons?

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a few marine pure blocks but had to send 2 back since they were broken. I have one in the tank currently, thinking to maybe order these instead? Their website says one brick is enough for 350 gallons, so 2 should be good 700 gallons?
I've got eight (8) of them in my tank right now.

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered these, four of them to try out with their bacteria. I’ve used fritz and like their bacteria so got one of those as well. Waiting to see how they work. Where do you recommend putting them?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been using Made in USA, 200 micron filter, socks. I made a mistake on ordering 100 micron filter socks. Noticed Shortly after my Corals weren’t growing as well. Was suspicious of the new Filter Socks, thought there was a chemical in them. Realized my mistake, went back to the old worn 200 micron. Ordered new socks, Corals returned to normal Growth. I have used one 100 micron and the other one 200 micron, for the rare cloudy water. My 65 Gallon which has had good Coral Growth, is now on a bypass filter sock arrangement. Thinking about doing that on my 120 Gallon.

Corals.com

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered these, four of them to try out with their bacteria. I’ve used fritz and like their bacteria so got one of those as well. Waiting to see how they work. Where do you recommend putting them?
Honestly, I placed mine wherever they could fit. Right now they're (mostly) below the ReefMat.

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I placed mine wherever they could fit. Right now they're (mostly) below the ReefMat.
Loll didn’t think it would happen but my sump is getting crowded too, I have marine bioballs after my socks then the skimmer chamber holds the skimmer, heater, and a block of marine pure, then goes the return chamber. I’m losing space, but thinking of putting two bricks immediately after the filter baskets for hopefully more flow, and two next to marine blocks for less flow. Let’s see when we get them in.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back