Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some GHA that grows on a few of my zoa frags and on the rack. I have been 3% peroxide dipping and scrubbing with a toothbrush (works but cant get it between the zoas). Im looking for a blenny that will do the job without either damaging the zoas or getting hurt by them. Mainly to manage the GHA in conjunction with the H2O2 and scrubbing

P.S If it sounds like my nutrients are high thats because they are. I run a high alk/high nutrient system on purpose.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Koh23

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S.fasciatus

But note, he wont eat old overgrowth algae, fresh growth is what he want ;)

This, i think, goes to almost any algae eaters, so, in some way, u still need to do manual removal, in beginning.....

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S.fasciatus

But note, he wont eat old overgrowth algae, fresh growth is what he want ;)

This, i think, goes to almost any algae eaters, so, in some way, u still need to do manual removal, in beginning.....
Ive had one in the past and it ate all the overgrown gha in a few of my tanks that had it. But when it came to zoas it caused some damage. If i have to ill get another one but id like a gentler option

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any blenny as long as it’s reef safe should not be actually hurting the corals if perched on them. Same as others like Hawkfish. Sure they may distrub the coral and sometimes irritate. Another example is a Tang. Sometimes unwanted algae grows on and/or around the coral. And the Tang will peck at it trying to get the algae. Sometimes it will end up nipping at a certain coral part just enough to get the harder to reach algae spot, but that is nipping, not eating or destroying it. Should the Blenny whilst trying to get the algae on/near the Zoas ends up damaging the coral, something yiu can do is move the coral to a higher flow area. Algae shouldn’t grow on coral unless it’s in low flow or the algae is taking hold of a weak coral IME.

BRS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have some GHA that grows on a few of my zoa frags and on the rack. I have been 3% peroxide dipping and scrubbing with a toothbrush (works but cant get it between the zoas). Im looking for a blenny that will do the job without either damaging the zoas or getting hurt by them. Mainly to manage the GHA in conjunction with the H2O2 and scrubbing

P.S If it sounds like my nutrients are high thats because they are. I run a high alk/high nutrient system on purpose.
Tail spot blenny. Its a myth that sailfin and lawnmower are algae eaters and will clean your tank. While thy eat Some algae, they thrive off calcium and meats such as Mysis, brine, chopped krill, etc
They spend most of their day pounding on rocks which some think is to get algae but its to get calcium which is an important part of their diet

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tail spot blenny. Its a myth that sailfin and lawnmower are algae eaters and will clean your tank. While thy eat Some algae, they thrive off calcium and meats such as Mysis, brine, chopped krill, etc
They spend most of their day pounding on rocks which some think is to get algae but its to get calcium which is an important part of their diet
This makes sense. My son had GHA for days…..got him a tailspot and all his GHA is gone.

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes sense. My son had GHA for days…..got him a tailspot and all his GHA is gone.
Maybe I’ll add one once I get bad gha

Top Shelf Aquatics

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're asking about a blenny, but in my experience hermits clean up any frags when I put them in. Their little claws can pluck in-between the zoas. Yes they crawl all over the frags but they get them clean.

As long as it's tiny little new growth they do an excellent job. They don't touch the stuff once it gets long and tough.

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had a lawnmower and a molly miller and likely wouldn't do either again. They prefer new growth which generally isn't helpful for the hobbyist with a gha issue.
And then there's the bigger problem, on separate occasions my nearly full grown molly miller killed 2 newly introduced small Tomini Tangs. Since i've just settled on Scarlett Hermits since.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any blenny floating in a bottle of 80proof vodka you're dosing is a good choice
Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

You need a deep dive research on why your GHA is being fed no3/po4 before your corals can use it.

Target range is no3 - 10... po4 - 0.1

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you're asking about a blenny, but in my experience hermits clean up any frags when I put them in. Their little claws can pluck in-between the zoas. Yes they crawl all over the frags but they get them clean.

As long as it's tiny little new growth they do an excellent job. They don't touch the stuff once it gets long and tough.
Yeah I tried that and it worked a little bit but most of the time my hermits are fat off of reef roids and have no interest

OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had a lawnmower and a molly miller and likely wouldn't do either again. They prefer new growth which generally isn't helpful for the hobbyist with a gha issue.
And then there's the bigger problem, on separate occasions my nearly full grown molly miller killed 2 newly introduced small Tomini Tangs. Since i've just settled on Scarlett Hermits since.
I'll look into the hermits as an addition. I'm currently running blue leg hermits

Corals.com
OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any blenny floating in a bottle of 80proof vodka you're dosing is a good choice
Cracking Up Lol GIF by reactionseditor

You need a deep dive research on why your GHA is being fed no3/po4 before your corals can use it.

Target range is no3 - 10... po4 - 0.1
If I lowered my nutrients to that level I'd lose all of my coral inventory. This is a production tank set up for maximum growth rate. The GHA does not bother me enough to impede production. It's just a minor nuisance. Plus all of my frags get completely stripped of the GHA before going into any of my sale tanks where I have no GHA

melonheadorion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had 2 algae blennys that, although they ate algae off the glass and rock, never ate any hair algae. since then, ive had a starry blenny that did not either up until one random day where he randomly started eating long hair algae, and since then, did not shy away from eating long hair algae. i wouldnt say a starry blenny will eat it, and say its more of just a lucky instance that mine started eating it.
it seems that most blennys dont eat long hair algae. they will eat shorter or just fuzzy length, on average.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Renaissance corals

Renaissance corals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? This is not a blenny, but if it’s big enough you could get a FoxFace. They don’t mind fresh or old algae as long as the old algae isn’t a few weeks.
40 breeder. So a little small for one of those. Also I can't afford one

Petcrazyson

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder. So a little small for one of those. Also I can't afford one
One thing you could do is get a couple of BTU’s. They love most types of algae! (Except for my cyano carpeted rock which they won’t touch :rolleyes:)

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back