Best Anemone for Davinici pair

Sphyrna_gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering from my anemone pros out here what are some good anemones to try to get my Davinici clowns to host in? They are still fairly small about 1"-1.5" so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Are there any in particular that have more success? I was looking at the mini carpet or maybe a smaller BTA..in the past I've had BTA but never really bubbled, lol.

Also curious if anyone has opinions on rock anemones. Any tips for general placement for mini carpets or BTs..even though I know they may move where they want to.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only 3 natural hosts for Ocellaris: H. magnifica, S. gigantea and S. mertensii. Often Ocellaris will accept H. malu, H. crispa and E. quadricolor
IMO S. gigantea is the best but any of the natural hosts are great

OP
OP
Sphyrna_gal

Sphyrna_gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are only 3 natural hosts for Ocellaris: H. magnifica, S. gigantea and S. mertensii. Often Ocellaris will accept H. malu, H. crispa and E. quadricolor
IMO S. gigantea is the best but any of the natural hosts are great
Great! I also have read around on here and some say they've separated the anemone with their clowns in a breeder/in tank box.. you think that's a good way to start off or just see if the clowns will go to the anemone naturally just in the tank?

Dbichler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got the leading anemone guy answering already in @OrionN. Just realize he is an expert and no anemone is easy to keep no matter what anyone tells you on a forum. It may be easy for them doesn’t mean any reef keeper can keep them. Especially the carpet anemones. Most successful anemone keepers don’t get anemones until tank has matured 6-12 months. Usually longer = better success rates. Do not force clowns to go into anemones they need to build up a tolerance on their own. Rock anemones don’t host clowns but are easier than the other anemones. An easy just that clowns do take to is toadstool corals or Duncan corals both of which are easier than anemones.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per usual I concur with @OrionN.

I should also add that it's not that S. gigantea are difficult to care for, it's finding a healthy specimen (or getting one through the quarentine process) that's the difficult part.

Lastly, mini carpets and rock anemones typically don't host clownfish. Even if they did, once the clownfish grow to their mature size, they could easily "over love" these smaller anemones and kill them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally don’t have many Ocellaris. I prefer Percula but here are Ocellaris with Magnifica and Gigantea. Neither of these anemones are for novice. They are difficult to get establish and often will not make it when collected from the wild.
Magnifica2023052706YellowBase GreenPurple.jpg

IMG_4862.jpeg

OP
OP
Sphyrna_gal

Sphyrna_gal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per usual I concur with @OrionN.

I should also add that it's not that S. gigantea are difficult to care for, it's finding a healthy specimen (or getting one through the quarentine process) that's the difficult part.

Lastly, mini carpets and rock anemones typically don't host clownfish. Even if they did, once the clownfish grow to their mature size, they could easily "over love" these smaller anemones and kill them.
Yeah, I was more wondering what people think about the rock anemones and mini carpets not necessarily for them to host my clowns but they seem to be everywhere yet not a ton of details on them.

thanks for the other replies, friends! Anemones intimidate me a bit LOL.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back