Best acclimation procedure for a wrasse that's been shipped?

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pre-quarantined wrasse coming in tomorrow, and I've seen conflicting opinions on best practices here. My instinct is to float, then to release into a bucket and add water in intervals (maybe over a half hour altogether) and release into the acclimation box.

Problem is I know these species (Lineatus) are especially sensitive, but I'm conscious of ammonia buildup once the bag is opened. I also unfortunately do not know the salinity it's shipped in- hopefully someone will answer my email about that soon.

So, with a fish that's been shipped but that is also generally sensitive, what would best practice be for acclimating in this situation?

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a question of two different approaches, I'm not sure what you mean
Oh, my bad dude, I'm saying yes to floating the bag then putting it in a bucket and then slowly adding tank water every 15-30 minutes. once the salinity in the bucket is the same as your tank you can release the fish.

OP
OP
C

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about dripping since it's a sensitive fish, but given it's being shipped I'm also wondering if that will end up with the fish getting ammonia poisoning

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about dripping since it's a sensitive fish, but given it's being shipped I'm also wondering if that will end up with the fish getting ammonia poisoning
Yeah, definitely don't do a drip acclimation, You only do a drip acclimation if you get the fish from the store. There will be too much ammonia buildup if you do a drip acclimation on a fish bought online.

Last edited:

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me... I would and salinity was unknown, I would set up a bucket of .019-.020 ( it is easier for fish to go from higher salinity to lower than the opposite way). Float and release into the bucket then bring the bucket up to your current value. I would think you would want to get a fish in some new water as quickly as possible. I would also maybe take it a step further and do a 10g observation tank for a couple days, to make sure he is adjusted and eating. Most wrasses will disappear in your DT right away, this way you know he is healthy.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a pre-quarantined wrasse coming in tomorrow, and I've seen conflicting opinions on best practices here. My instinct is to float, then to release into a bucket and add water in intervals (maybe over a half hour altogether) and release into the acclimation box.

Problem is I know these species (Lineatus) are especially sensitive, but I'm conscious of ammonia buildup once the bag is opened. I also unfortunately do not know the salinity it's shipped in- hopefully someone will answer my email about that soon.

So, with a fish that's been shipped but that is also generally sensitive, what would best practice be for acclimating in this situation?
Key to it;
Temperature acclimate and then at the end measure the salinity. The ammonia build up will be rapid once the bag opens - you don’t want to open it before the temperature is correct.

If the salinity is low, you’ll want to have a separate tank with the same salinity water (you’ll often find salinity is quite low when fish are shipped), if it’s not too low or maybe even high the fish can go into the acclimation box.

Next thing, make sure the fish has hiding spots in the box. You never want to introduce a fish that’s gone through shipping into an open box. Especially a lineatus (I assume fairy).

Then, also to remember;
This fish has been in total darkness for at least 12 hours if not 24. Make sure during acclimation the lights are off and even for the first day I’d turn lights off. The reason for this is if you put that fish into total brightness, you’ll find it gets incredibly nervous and likely even become jumpy.

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this acclimation procedure for fish shipped like 24 hours.
No fish lost using this way.
1. add extra saltwater to your tank
2. open the bags and pour the water and fishes in a bucket (preferable black)
- you don't have to use all the water. Just make it fit to bucket, tank size and number of bags.
3. remove 50% of the water and add 25% tank water
4. wait 4 minutes, and remove 25% of the water and add same amount of tank water
5. repeat step 4 for 20 minutes (4 or 5 times)
6. add the fiches to the tank

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right or wrong I acclimate everything the same way that is shipped. Float for temp acclimation, open bag into bucket and add Prime, air stone, and heater while drip acclimating until salinity is reached. Never had any issues.

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right or wrong I acclimate everything the same way that is shipped. Float for temp acclimation, open bag into bucket and add Prime, air stone, and heater while drip acclimating until salinity is reached. Never had any issues.
that's a good idea with the prime!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back