+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I've been out of the aquarium game for a decade but ended up with a used tank that I would like to get going again. I'm wondering if this great E-Community can help me figure out what parts I need for the plumbing/water flow parts of this guy.

Its a 75 gallon that came with a sump, skimmer, etc. The person that had it had no real history on the tank other than it was a salt water tank some time ago.

What I'm confused about is the pump situation. There is a super old rusted pump in there that "doesn't work anymore" that seems to be plumbed into the skimmer. So, I'm wondering what kind of pump is needed for that part of the tank?

Also, how does water pump back into the aquarium? I believe its the smaller tube that leaves the sump at the bottom and goes to the white PVC that comes out of the overflow. What is confusing is there is some soft of a filter / guard type thing on the end and I don't see how you would hook up a return pump. I've (poorly) drawn on these pictures. If anyone can tell me how to make this sucker run again I'd like to give it a whirl!

Thanks in advance everyone!

tank1.jpg tank2.JPG tank3.JPG tank4.JPG tank5.JPG

Top Shelf Aquatics

boacvh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby! and to R2R.
I am relatively new but more experienced people will surely jump in and help. (maybe this works as a bump to your post)
But, I will take a crack at it, although the pictures/setup are indeed confusing.
I think the out is correctly labeled. Cant see in the picture the setup above the stand, but should be the one coming down from your overflow. I assume its correct because of the size of that pipe. And that one then goes to the top of the biofilter. Also, looks like the return pump is actually plumbed to the bottom hole in the picture and not to the one labeled return?
In anycase, if the pump doesn't work anymore, I think you can probably set the new return pump submerged inside the return chamber, just so you can use the rest of the real estate in that stand for something else. Perhaps a refugium or larger sump.
Also, is there another small pump inside of the skimmer or is that an externally pumped skimmer? I would probably just replace that one with a new one, but that's just me being new to the hobby.
Pretty sure more experienced people will jump in here to help.
Good luck! look forward to seeing it full of water!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum, Your sump system Is 1985-1990s tech. I would junk the skimmer too. I did this hobby back in the late 80s and I would update everything in that cabinet. I run newer gear now and am much happier for it.

Can you run that gear... Maybe, if it leak checks good and powers up smooth. Would I, Nope.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

corndog33

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that makes me a little sad that the equipment is super old. I'm trying not to dump a ton of cash into this so I'm wondering what my most reasonable approach would be. What about plugging the existing return hole and the skimmer return hole - buying a new in-sump skimmer and a new external pump - utilizing the existing hole for the external simmer pump and returning the water that way? Would that make any sense? This all assuming existing sump holds water, which I believe it does.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that makes me a little sad that the equipment is super old. I'm trying not to dump a ton of cash into this so I'm wondering what my most reasonable approach would be. What about plugging the existing return hole and the skimmer return hole - buying a new in-sump skimmer and a new external pump - utilizing the existing hole for the external simmer pump and returning the water that way? Would that make any sense? This all assuming existing sump holds water, which I believe it does.
I wouldn’t jump the gun. Do yourself a favor, go look at tank builds of your size Tank. You might be able to come up with a plan that works best for your system.

There are inexpensive sump building kits where you use a small tank to make a sump. Might be worth a shot.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Queen City Corals
Back