Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found when carbon dosing with vodka this chart is very helpful….
1672313642023.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One oddity in that chart is the fact that at long times, it seems to suggest that a 25 gallon tank will only need half of what a 1000 gallon tank needs, which doesn't seem sensible to me.

Klyle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I try best to refrain from carbon dosing. Do you have a macroalgea section in the sump set up? Some cheato will bring nitrates back to your desired redfield ratio without effecting your PO4.
Feeding Nori is commonly known to increase Nitrate levels. Maybe compensate with a different food, or every other day instead?
Personally, 40ppm Nitrates are my target goal! I keep PO4 at 0.4 respectively to the red field ratio.
*Feel free to check out my build thread!!
To watch their own but i ran a fuge for about a year and found that it’s just way more maintenance than i wanted to deal with. Also to macro algae does a good job of stripping out random elements that I’d rather my corals have. Yes you can dose Chaetogro etc, but then you’re just playing mad scientist. I don’t know why there’s such a negative attitude to carbon dosing. It’s so darn easy once you get it dialed in!!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Klyle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just give it some time for the bacteria to develop in that case, as others have suggested, carbon dosing has two effect in our system, one is to stimulate the pelagic bacteria at reducing no3 and some po4 and the second effect is to increase the heterotrophic bacteria responsible for decomposing trapped organic matter. If you don’t get far in the next month or so I would suggest you to change to diy nopox, there is peer reviewed papers that supports the use of carbohydrates (molasses and sugars) as very effective at promoting heterotrophic decomposers this would aid lowering nutrients by transferring the organic matter into the bacteria body mass that will be removed from your system via protein skimmer or by predatory organisms that feed on bacteria, transferring those nutrients into they’re body mass and so on.
Both nopox and eliminp have worked great for me! I do like TMs approach with different products though. Use eliminp to bring down high levels then switch to bactobalance to maintain the lower levels! I’m currently doing the TM method on my 40 cube and recently made the switch to bactobalance. Working great! Been running nopox on my other tank for over year and i have no complaints! Other than it does take a while to start working.

Klyle

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been going at it for a month, slowly ramping them. I started at 0.5ml/d which was likely not doing much. The ats has been on the tank for 6mo+ and it's pulling a lot of algea out but hasn't lowered them.
Yeah you just need to keep at it. They will begin to come down! Assuming your dosing The correct amount…i only have experience with nopox and TM products, i can’t speak for vinegar.

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try best to refrain from carbon dosing. Do you have a macroalgea section in the sump set up? Some cheato will bring nitrates back to your desired redfield ratio without effecting your PO4.
Feeding Nori is commonly known to increase Nitrate levels. Maybe compensate with a different food, or every other day instead?
Personally, 40ppm Nitrates are my target goal! I keep PO4 at 0.4 respectively to the red field ratio.
*Feel free to check out my build thread!!
I didn't want to but if you read why I did it, nothing else worked. I had a refugium, macro's always died off. So I got an ATS which has been pulling gha out like crazy, but, no3 is still high. And The reason I say they're high even if your target is 40, my corals are not happy when its this high so I need to do something.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For this to work, you will need phosphate. If phosphate has been depleted, you'll need to add phosphate somehow, which can be done either by phosphate-heavy food (generally dry pellets, not frozen things), what I prefer is to add it directly to the tank as a chemical, because it's predictable and fairly precise. Food products you have readily may be very biased to nitrate, which would lead you further from your goal. Kindly look at both of the dialogues here, and Randy Holmes-Farley's responses:

Note also that the phosphate you add, within 24 hours, may initially bind to substrate, and may continuously bind to kalk dosings.

I recommend reviewing KZ/Zeovit system instructions, if only to get a sense of how this kind of methodology works. Though you may elect not to commit to that methodology, it will be very informational. A key takeaway is to inject food sources (kindly make a note of the Zeovit reactor), as well as a being methodical—consistently and ramping at a reasonable pace (even with vodka, you can follow the KZ methodology as if you were using that carbon source).

There is much talk about the risk of bottoming out your nitrate or phosphate; that in the short term will pale to the issue of creating a bacterial bloom from overdose, which depending on things like temperature, can quickly deplete your water's oxygen and asphyxiate your poor pets.

KZ and other nitrate reduction techniques like ClearWater ATS or chaeo reactors require phosphate, even if the amount of phosphate consumed is very minimal—if phosphate is reduced to nothing, adding additional carbons (e.g., KZ, vinegar, alcohols, sugars), will not work; you'll need to replenish phosphate first.
I have phosphate - 0.13 tested yesterday with hanna, and I'm running GFO. I could turn off the GFO reactor to help the po4/no3 bind more. Also, very experienced with 0 po4, I had dino for about a year and it sucked. I also have dosed disodium phosphate back when it bottomed out. But, I don't need to right now with the po4 sitting steady at 0.13-0.20

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both nopox and eliminp have worked great for me! I do like TMs approach with different products though. Use eliminp to bring down high levels then switch to bactobalance to maintain the lower levels! I’m currently doing the TM method on my 40 cube and recently made the switch to bactobalance. Working great! Been running nopox on my other tank for over year and i have no complaints! Other than it does take a while to start working.
I was considering eliminp before I lost my job so I decided to try vodka. Trying to keep the reef going on a budget until I get a new job :)

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you just need to keep at it. They will begin to come down! Assuming your dosing The correct amount…i only have experience with nopox and TM products, i can’t speak for vinegar.
I've been dosing accurately with a syringe. yesterday I hooked up and calibrated a versa pump - it'll be dosing between 11a-9pm when lights are one. Checking in on it today, seems to be working fine.

Nutramar Foods

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yea, hanna hit 57 which is essentially 60 - there's barely any difference between 40 and 60 imo - BOTH are high.

Anyhoo my no3 range has been 35-60 over the past few months.
Sorry to hear about the job. Been there many times, hang in there. Just dose the vodka in your tank and maybe a small dose for yourself every few days .

It's not an alarming level. Actually, some Reefer would be just fine with it. Every system is different and you said yours doesn't like them that high. What does your biological media in your sump consist of? Any ceramic bricks, balls, etc?

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the job. Been there many times, hang in there. Just dose the vodka in your tank and maybe a small dose for yourself every few days .

It's not an alarming level. Actually, some Reefer would be just fine with it. Every system is different and you said yours doesn't like them that high. What does your biological media in your sump consist of? Any ceramic bricks, balls, etc?
Thanks, I'm doing alright. Have a few interviews this week and next, hopefully, one pans out.

sump is set up like this-
roller filter, skimmer, gfo reactor, non-active fuge with live rock, an ats, carbon filter (off), then return

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm doing alright. Have a few interviews this week and next, hopefully, one pans out.

sump is set up like this-
roller filter, skimmer, gfo reactor, non-active fuge with live rock, an ats, carbon filter (off), then return

Ok, I think your problem is lack of biological filtration. If you can swing it right now, financially and have the room in your sump, I would buy a couple of gallon bags of these and put them in your sump. Not a high flow area as you don't want them to tumble.

Then for about 7 days, I would dose Brightwell Microbacter7. Your Nitrate problem will be a thing of the past once the ceramic biomedia gets established in 2 to 3 weeks.

Koty

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recomend TM Elimi NP as well as KZ sponge power. I have a lps reef tank with many heavily fed fish. However, even with a cheato refuge and a powerful skimmer, phosphates are a bit high (0.2-0.3 ppm). Corals are happy...but algea are happy as well.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think your problem is lack of biological filtration. If you can swing it right now, financially and have the room in your sump, I would buy a couple of gallon bags of these and put them in your sump. Not a high flow area as you don't want them to tumble.

Then for about 7 days, I would dose Brightwell Microbacter7. Your Nitrate problem will be a thing of the past once the ceramic biomedia gets established in 2 to 3 weeks.
I'm confused by this - I have around 250lbs of LR in the display and another 50 in the sump. How will adding these help the bio filtration? I'd argue I have a lot but willing to learn what other options are

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AF
Back