Basement Lighting when Cycling

Caloy_G7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am finally about to start to cycle my tank and been searching around the forum for answers. My 55 gal is in my basement and I understand when cycling the tank is to keep the aquarium lights off but I spend most time in my basement with the room lights are on. Is that going to affect anything from algae growth, ugly phase, and the whole cycling process? TIA!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am finally about to start to cycle my tank and been searching around the forum for answers. My 55 gal is in my basement and I understand when cycling the tank is to keep the aquarium lights off but I spend most time in my basement with the room lights are on. Is that going to affect anything from algae growth, ugly phase, and the whole cycling process? TIA!
Ambient lighting won’t be a problem. Good luck.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be a problem unless is crazy bright for hours a day.
You could wrap the glass with trash bags or something
Post up some pics

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As other have said, your room lighting isn’t powerful enough to grow algae in your tank. Just keep the tank’s lights off during this initial period.

EDIT: And it’s perfectly fine to turn the tank lights on to inspect and briefly enjoy your tank, just don’t leave them running all day ;-)

Welcome to Reef2Reef and best of luck with your 55!

OP
OP
C

Caloy_G7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000002778.jpg
1000002763.jpg

Shouldn’t be a problem unless is crazy bright for hours a day.
You could wrap the glass with trash bags or something
Post up some pics
Ahh yes pics, here it is. Posted it with the lights on and off. I also added my plubimg which is pretty straight forward. I did a test run making sure nothing leaks when I pulled my stuff outta storage. I did some modifications on my stand (a few inches too tall) so goes my plumbing. Did found a leak from emergency drain which I fixed.

Im hoping no more leaks when I fire her up in a few hours. Currently making RODI water for more saltwater.
1000002780.jpg

Attachments

• 1000002779.jpg
    1000002779.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 10

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking start! Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You can have lights on so basement lights will not alter the cycle

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back