Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just woke up - agreed, this doesn't look good. I think you can rule out water quality issues because the other cardinal isn't affected (yet).

How long have you had this fish?

Jay

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a side note. Banggai Cardinals are susceptible to 'sudden fright syndrome' where they will literally fall out of the water column if exposed to bright light, loud noise, or environmental stressors. When I was breeding them it appeared to be diet and water quality that contributed to better success.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a side note. Banggai Cardinals are susceptible to 'sudden fright syndrome' where they will literally fall out of the water column if exposed to bright light, loud noise, or environmental stressors. When I was breeding them it appeared to be diet and water quality that contributed to better success.
Very good note, admittedly that’s something I’d completely forgotten about! Thank you!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I’ve seen that in a variety of fish. In many of them, there is a relationship with fatty liver disease, not sure about with cardinals, but I bet so.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello one of my bangeyed Cardinal has been laying on the sand and falling to his side occasionally I don’t know what to do he also skipped out on dinner tonight
Parameters are good and most recent water change was a week ago.

View attachment 3095400 View attachment 3095401 View attachment 3095402
Banggais in groups fight at times but this appears to be bacterial and may have stemmed from injury or liver disease why they lose weight. Fish also appears thin and is moribund. Generally when they are laying down like this, they rarely get back up and resume normal swimming and feeding, sad to say

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, it should give him at least a safe spot from being pushed around by the flow or bullied. Hope he recovers, keep us posted!
Thank you so much! How much flow should I have over this container??
Unfortunately he did not make it to the morning:( I appreciate the advice

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to know thank you the other one is doing just fine just seems down his partner is gone

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

PremiumAquatics.com
Back