Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello one of my bangeyed Cardinal has been laying on the sand and falling to his side occasionally I don’t know what to do he also skipped out on dinner tonight
Parameters are good and most recent water change was a week ago.

3C98E781-CF9C-41E3-8E75-8C8676EDA877.jpeg 2138FA3C-A488-40D7-81E7-9F19FA7B3569.jpeg 5A0A3CAE-C4AA-42E8-B492-D5BD0CB79A9D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2326.MOV
    44.9 MB

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not look good. Video did not load for me. Given description fish may be moribund. Someone with more knowledge will chime in shortly.

More information would be better,

Please define “parameters are good”.
Breathing rate of the fish? Gasping?
Tank size?
Tank mates?
Any new livestock additions to the tank? Any equipment issues lately?

In the meantime, linking a post from @Jay Hemdal on this particular species and it’s issues
Post in thread 'Banggai cardinal died??'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/banggai-cardinal-died.964706/post-11035575

Last edited:
OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing is normal for the most part by looks like he is occasionally gasping I turned my air stone on as well for the time being I don’t have my hospital tank available till tomorrow night. The water is testing where it needs to be for salinity,Ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, calcium, & phosphates I recently added a Duncan coral in about 3 weeks ago and 3 new snails last week and about a month ago I upgraded my skimmer to a reef octopus. 65gal with sump. It has brittle starfish, 5 Troikas snails, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, 4 hermet crabs, Royal gramma, two clowns, that cardinal is part of a cardinal pair also have a goby and a pistol shrimp and a fire fish.

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing is normal for the most part by looks like he is occasionally gasping I turned my air stone on as well for the time being I don’t have my hospital tank available till tomorrow night. The water is testing where it needs to be for salinity,Ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, calcium, & phosphates I recently added a Duncan coral in about 3 weeks ago and 3 new snails last week and about a month ago I upgraded my skimmer to a reef octopus. 65gal with sump. It has brittle starfish, 5 Troikas snails, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, 4 hermet crabs, Royal gramma, two clowns, that cardinal is part of a cardinal pair also have a goby and a pistol shrimp and a fire fish.
I don’t think he is gonna make it at all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 20

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, how long has the fire fish been in with the cardinals? They can sometimes be pretty aggressive from my experience. Have you noticed any aggression towards the cardinals?

Also, it would really help if we knew your actual parameters. But in particular you’re sure there been no spikes? Especially, ammonia would be my main concern.

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah It’s at 0PPthe other cardinal fish is fine too they were there first but the fire fish doesn’t bother them at all I’ve seen the bigger cardinal pick on that one not doing so well and the Royal gramma poster on him more than once

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah It’s at 0PPthe other cardinal fish is fine too they were there first but the fire fish doesn’t bother them at all I’ve seen the bigger cardinal pick on that one not doing so well and the Royal gramma poster on him more than once
He is not doing well hasn’t moved from the last picture since before I took it he is twitching occasionally and gasping pretty hard now.. at what point do I call it for them? If I do

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay sounds good. Yea given that your parameters are in check and if I were to venture a guess, I’d suspect aggression in this case.

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is not doing well hasn’t moved from the last picture since before I took it he is twitching occasionally and gasping pretty hard now.. at what point do I call it for them? If I do
Do you have refugium in your sump to put him in?

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t no :/
Darn, you could try floating him in the tank with a container of some sorts, like a breeder box/acclimation box? Even a strawberry box with some styrofoam zip tied for floatation. Make sure it has flow exchange with the tank, otherwise fish will be worse off.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, you could try floating him in the tank with a container of some sorts, like a breeder box/acclimation box?
I best I have is a cup.. unfortunately this is so sad too his paired mate keeps swimming up to him and getting close so gently it’s just sad

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I best I have is a cup.. unfortunately this is so sad too his paired mate keeps swimming up to him and getting close so gently it’s just sad
The cup may work if there’s some holes punched in it but might be a bit small.
I hear you, illness and losses are always tough. You are doing the right and responsible thing in trying to seek answers for treatment though.

Top Shelf Aquatics

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any of those plastic clamshell packaging that fruits or spinach etc sometimes comes in? If so, one of those rinsed out will work, just zip tie some styrofoam floats to it.

OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, you could try floating him in the tank with a container of some sorts, like a breeder box/acclimation box? Even a strawberry box with some styrofoam zip tied for floatation. Make sure it has flow exchange with the tank, otherwise fish will be worse off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
Holland16

Holland16

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any of those plastic clamshell packaging that fruits or spinach etc sometimes comes in? If so, one of those rinsed out will work, just zip tie some styrofoam floats to it.
I used a strawberry container does this work

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back