Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Bamboo sharks. They appear to be doing fine. But I have a few questions I’ve read to feed them 2-3 times a week. I’ve been feeding them twice daily as they seem to always be hungry. Is this OK. Any cons to feeding daily? Also been feeding the mazuri vitamins daily packaging doesn’t specifically state how often. Anyone have any insight? Last question I’m thinking of using Chemiclean to remove some green slime will this cause any issues with the sharks?

Thanks in advance

Avast

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Bamboo sharks. They appear to be doing fine. But I have a few questions I’ve read to feed them 2-3 times a week. I’ve been feeding them twice daily as they seem to always be hungry. Is this OK. Any cons to feeding daily? Also been feeding the mazuri vitamins daily packaging doesn’t specifically state how often. Anyone have any insight? Last question I’m thinking of using Chemiclean to remove some green slime will this cause any issues with the sharks?

Thanks in advance
Im fairly certain that is over feeding them. They should be feed 2-3 times a week. Keep in mind that they have small mouths and need to eat smaller foods or they will spit them out or ignore them.

I don't think using chemiclean would be a great idea, they are pretty sensitive

OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fairly certain that is over feeding them. They should be feed 2-3 times a week. Keep in mind that they have small mouths and need to eat smaller foods or they will spit them out or ignore them.

I don't think using chemiclean would be a great idea, they are pretty sensitive
I’m aware there sensitive. I’ve even noticed stress from water changes. Just being over run by green slime on the sand. Even Doing 100 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. Nitrates peak at 15 ppm . Tank looks horrible and vacuuming is next to impossible with Oolite sand. Was hoping someone had tried the chemiclean with bamboos present.

Corals.com

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aware there sensitive. I’ve even noticed stress from water changes. Just being over run by green slime on the sand. Even Doing 100 gallon water changes every 2 weeks. Nitrates peak at 15 ppm . Tank looks horrible and vacuuming is next to impossible with Oolite sand. Was hoping someone had tried the chemiclean with bamboos present.
You can have a lower flow siphon, or a screen or something over the siphon.

It may be a good idea to get some CUC, you may have to replace them, but getting a bulk order of Ceriths and Nas to stir the sand and eat the waste left behind by the messy bamboos may help.

If you don't run it already, you can run some carbon.

@lion king (sorry for the @) is our resident predatory fish expert, and can likely give some good advice on this as well.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can have a lower flow siphon, or a screen or something over the siphon.

It may be a good idea to get some CUC, you may have to replace them, but getting a bulk order of Ceriths and Nas to stir the sand and eat the waste left behind by the messy bamboos may help.

If you don't run it already, you can run some carbon.

@lion king (sorry for the @) is our resident predatory fish expert, and can likely give some good advice on this as well.
I’ve got cucs. (300 gallons). 18 urchins ,25 turbos and 6 conches. I have a very lg Stars and Stripes that eats the smaller snails. But leaves my Red urchins alone.

So you think Carbon will help?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got cucs. (300 gallons). 18 urchins ,25 turbos and 6 conches. I have a very lg Stars and Stripes that eats the smaller snails. But leaves my Red urchins alone.

Nice!

I think carbon can help, yes.

Does the algae go into the water column ("disappear") at night? if so, UV may also be helpful

CLICK TO VIEW

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Thanks in advance
They digest flood slowly. Often 1-2 X per week is adequate but if gaining weight cut back on feedings. Every 3 days is a good pace for feeding.
In case youre not aware, DO NOT feed them live feeders such as goldfish and guppies but rather Pieces of fish or silversides, shrimp meat, scallop, squid, and soak the foods with liquid vitamins which provides minerals essential for their health

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I wouldn't use Chemiclean with sharks, there isn't extensive testing with it and it could potentially be harmful to them. I had the same issue, my tank was overrun with terrible algae literally everywhere. I used biopellets to reduce their food source and it completely cleared up in 2 months. Patience is key and natural solutions are always better than adding chemicals especially to a tank that houses sharks.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use Chemiclean with sharks, there isn't extensive testing with it and it could potentially be harmful to them. I had the same issue, my tank was overrun with terrible algae literally everywhere. I used biopellets to reduce their food source and it completely cleared up in 2 months. Patience is key and natural solutions are always better than adding chemicals especially to a tank that houses sharks.
I agree, but I don't think carbon media would be an issue.

BRS

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes carbon could help, I personally don't like it as it tends to break down and in my experience it exhausts pretty quickly. I personally like purigen for the same application over carbon.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a large amount of carbon on my fowlr that has a 23in bamboo with no ill effects. The size of your bamboo shark will determine the feeding. While little pups, less than a foot long, you need to feed them daily or at least 4-5 times a week. As they mature, as stated above 2 times a week is fine. My girl eats every 3 days.

I too had a problem with algae and was hesitant to add cuc, but I added 15 large turbos and all my fish leave them be. This includes triggers and puffers. The turbos cleared the algae up in a week. And my nitrates in my fowlr are far higher than yours.

twentyleagues

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try dosing fritzyme9 or microbacter7 to help with the cyano. I had two bamboos in the past tied in to my main system which was over skimmed and run with bio pellets. This was 15 years ago. I also dosed mb7 on a weekly basis trates were around 10-15 and po4 was .04-.08. I fed them more when they were young every day maybe I skipped a day here and there. As they grew I went to 3-4 days a week or about every other day giving them an extra fasting day every once in a while. Keep up with the vitamins every time you feed. Ive snuck in some algae wafers or pellets inside other food to simulate gut loading also. Good luck! I miss mine and all my salt but Im on my way back!

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They digest flood slowly. Often 1-2 X per week is adequate but if gaining weight cut back on feedings. Every 3 days is a good pace for feeding.
In case youre not aware, DO NOT feed them live feeders such as goldfish and guppies but rather Pieces of fish or silversides, shrimp meat, scallop, squid, and soak the foods with liquid vitamins which provides minerals essential for their health
There about 18”. I feed them two med sized silverfish( cut in half) each. And at lights out each get half a med shrimp. I’ve been using mazuri vitamins. (1 small tab a day each). Not sure if it’s enough or to much. Can’t get them to take anything else. I’ve tried scallops, octopus, squid, clams even salmon strips. Just silversides and shrimp.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a large amount of carbon on my fowlr that has a 23in bamboo with no ill effects. The size of your bamboo shark will determine the feeding. While little pups, less than a foot long, you need to feed them daily or at least 4-5 times a week. As they mature, as stated above 2 times a week is fine. My girl eats every 3 days.

I too had a problem with algae and was hesitant to add cuc, but I added 15 large turbos and all my fish leave them be. This includes triggers and puffers. The turbos cleared the algae up in a week. And my nitrates in my fowlr are far higher than yours.
I have a reactor I’ll set up with Carbon. This evening. See if it helps. I’ve been dosing Micro7 for the last two weeks daily no change.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a reactor I’ll set up with Carbon. This evening. See if it helps. I’ve been dosing Micro7 for the last two weeks daily no change.
Assure nitrates dont become elevated. I recommend liquid vitamins such as Selcon or vita chem

AS

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There about 18”. I feed them two med sized silverfish( cut in half) each. And at lights out each get half a med shrimp. I’ve been using mazuri vitamins. (1 small tab a day each). Not sure if it’s enough or to much. Can’t get them to take anything else. I’ve tried scallops, octopus, squid, clams even salmon strips. Just silversides and shrimp.
Squid and octopus are usually sure fire foods for sharks. It was the first dead food mine ate. I buy the whole frozen ones from an Asian market and cut them up. Scallops are hit and miss for mine

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the pieces weren't too big.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to @SlugSnorter , these types of sharks have exceptionally small mouths compared to other sharks. Mine doesnt even want to eat a whole patagonian scallop, the small ones you see in stores. Let alone a full shrimp. Everything she is fed is cut up to about nickle size, unless its squid or octopus, then the pieces can be larger because they fold.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Aspect

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you tried Lobster tails? Mine go absolutely nuts for the stuff, albeit a little more expensive it is one of the best foods to feed a shark, having one of the highest protein values per serving out there. Also, I would try feeding all of those foods you couldn't get them to take with a little bit of Selcon soaked into them. It is highly attractive to sharks.

OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried Lobster tails? Mine go absolutely nuts for the stuff, albeit a little more expensive it is one of the best foods to feed a shark, having one of the highest protein values per serving out there. Also, I would try feeding all of those foods you couldn't get them to take with a little bit of Selcon soaked into them. It is highly attractive to sharks.
No but I’ll give it a try. Ty

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back