Bali aquarich regal angel and goldflake

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got these guys a probably 6 months ago. They are from Bali aquarich. At first I didn't know if they were going to make it. My red flame angel was really going after the goldflake and the regal was super small and barely ate anything. It took some time, but they now seem to get along. It was hard to feed the regal. He went after pellets and would eat eat small pieces of brine. He has grown now and eats small mysis. Just wanted to show off these guys as it has been a challenge to get them to where they are, but thankfully they all seem to get along. I be got 3 angels in a 130 gallon. Red flame, regal and goldflake.

IMG_20240813_122632.jpg IMG_20240813_122645.jpg IMG_20240813_122324.jpg IMG_20240813_122143.jpg IMG_20240813_122312.jpg

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! I have a multibar and a flame, I want to add a regal at some point. Your post gives me hope they can work it all out. I will have a grow out tank for the regal so it won't be so tiny but hear they grow slow.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish! I have a multibar and a flame, I want to add a regal at some point. Your post gives me hope they can work it all out. I will have a grow out tank for the regal so it won't be so tiny but hear they grow slow.

Yah honestly that's a better way to do it. It was hard to feed the regal. I had to basically fill up a cup of very small pellets and then blow them into a hole where he was hiding. He was so shy I didn't think he was going to make it. I saw him come out though and eat pellets. The other fish would eat majority of the pellets, but he got enough to grow. There are bigger fish in my tank and they are pigs. They would scare him into hiding all day. Thankfully the pellets grew him big enough to eat brine and then to mysis. Still a shy fish but comes out way more. The bigger he gets the more confident he is.

The goldflake eventually put my flame angel into his place and now the goldflake is bigger than my flame. They do grow fast actually. The goldflake and flame do t even go after each other anymore. The only issue with angels though is they do pick at my soft corals and acans but whatever .

sunshinesea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice fish! Which coral do they tend to go after? Acans and what else? Also, it’s the ocasional picking, not obliteration, correct? Thx.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goldflake that I got about a year ago. It was pretty small but has grown quite a bit. I recently got a regal and a multibar but neither made it. I think they were just way too small, about 1/2 inch and the tank was a recently set up QT so there wasn’t anything for them to forage off of.

OP
OP
alindell

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goldflake that I got about a year ago. It was pretty small but has grown quite a bit. I recently got a regal and a multibar but neither made it. I think they were just way too small, about 1/2 inch and the tank was a recently set up QT so there wasn’t anything for them to forage off of.
I was lucky. The guy I bought them from who got them from Bali aquarich started off with baby brine and transitioned them into pellets. Was the only way my regal survived. Mine was also like a 1/2 inch. This is them now

IMG_20240813_122143.jpg

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely beautiful fish! Congrats and keep it up! : D

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at a juvi captive bred goldflake that is maybe 2". It does not have blue lips, I've heard captive bred are not as pretty as wild. Any truth to that?

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear!
I pulled the trigger on the juvi goldflake and have him in a long term acclimation box. I put him in a 10 gallon tank that sits inside my big tank so he can get used to the drill. He eats well and looks good! As soon as he chows on pellets, he eats maybe one or two, I'll put his shellfish in a jar that only he can fit in and when he gets used to eating out of that, I'll turn him loose with the big boys.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have trouble feeding the Goldflake?

The biggest difference I see between the wild and CB Goldflakes is even at small sizes the wild ones look like miniature fully developed adults, while the CB ones take longer to fully develop.

But I’m very happy that Goldflakes are regularly offered CB nowadays, they’re one of my Top 5 angels.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the morning, I fed whole mussels, clams and oysters, that way the goldflake could graze all day. In the evening, I'd toss what was left of the shellfish in the main tank.

The goldflake was doing great he got noticeably thicker and was looking good.

The pump delivering water to the ten gallon failed and I think the poor thing suffocated. I'm guessing the half clam and other bits and pieces caused a bacteria spike. Plus, I had a piece of plastic mesh on the surface-I'm sure that inhibited gas exchange. That one hurt.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back