Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is Bob I have a 180 fish and live rock tank for almost 20 years now and I have a bad out break of cyanomy nitrate level is 160 just replace my pump for my sump and also added a fx6 canister filter I only have 4 fish in my tank just wanted to know should I remove my filter socks from my sump and should I remove the carbon pads from the fx6 while I’m treating with chemiclean

Nutramar Foods

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello my name is Bob I have a 180 fish and live rock tank for almost 20 years now and I have a bad out break of cyanomy nitrate level is 160 just replace my pump for my sump and also added a fx6 canister filter I only have 4 fish in my tank just wanted to know should I remove my filter socks from my sump and should I remove the carbon pads from the fx6 while I’m treating with chemiclean
Remove carbon since you are using medication. Keep filter socks in and keep them changed/clean regularly.

Try to find why your nitrate is so high. Seems you need to revisit your nitrate export and flow.
I would start putting some time and elbow grease into rinsing your sand and doing a 100% water change before treating the cyano with meds.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can kill your reef using chemi clean, search out: chemi clean killed my reef, there's hundreds of them.

You can kill your fish with it too, indirectly, from the rotting compounds after use and from oxygenation issues, recommend to cease use

Post a pic of your tank, it's likely reached its storage maximum for the sandbed and rocks. We can tell by pics of the system

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2Reef!

The chemiclean antibiotic (erythromycin) should wipe out the cyano, but be careful that released toxins or low O2 do not cause issues. Keep aeration high and possible use GAC, if you have any on hand.

A lot of nutrients will be released as well from the dead cyano, so a water change may be in order to reduce the nitrate.

Are you monitoring phosphate?

BigMikeFlipz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, I would think if you followed the instructions on the box and have an aerator running for at least 2 days, then do a water change... I only have 5-6 corals and 20 fish/inverts and chemi-clean wiped out my two baseball sized cyano in 36 hours without issue. I just followed the instructions to a T and worked fine. No issues so far, but I kept the aerator going and didn't go nuts with it. Will keep an eye out as maybe mine was a small buildup and I don't have the same corals that were affected on other threads.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Curious, I would think if you followed the instructions on the box and have an aerator running for at least 2 days, then do a water change... I only have 5-6 corals and 20 fish/inverts and chemi-clean wiped out my two baseball sized cyano in 36 hours without issue. I just followed the instructions to a T and worked fine. No issues so far, but I kept the aerator going and didn't go nuts with it. Will keep an eye out as maybe mine was a small buildup and I don't have the same corals that were affected on other threads.
Exactly - As long as you follow as directed. I cant remember the last time I had Cyano but remember using it once and it did its thing. They can sure make the vial a little bigger for what you get for the money

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back