Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding this . If you can use bacteria to get rid of pests would it be beneficial to have those bacteria in the tank before the pests arrive? I don't necessarily mean coming out of a bottle. But generally is that a effective way to fight those types of pests ?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding this . If you can use bacteria to get rid of pests would it be beneficial to have those bacteria in the tank before the pests arrive? I don't necessarily mean coming out of a bottle. But generally is that a effective way to fight those types of pests ?

IMO, in most tanks they are already there, and are not just bacteria. Algae and diatoms also serve the function of taking up space where dinos may want to take over perfectly well, for example. On the bacteria side, adding more on a regular basis might possibly help keep the right strains present if they are amongst what you are dosing, but it might also be like adding 5 gallons of gas to your car every day, without knowing whether it will fit in the tank or not.

Again IMO, I think displacement/outcompetition of dinos is often an effective plan, and that can be accomplished many ways. Adding bacteria may be one of them, but isn't the one I generally recommend anyway. Keeping nutrients higher is one of them.

Cyano has different needs and different ways to deal with it. I'm less convinced bacterial competition will be successful there, but in some scenarios it may be.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Work threads prevent this endless back and forth. Whoever believes in bottle bac dosing regularly, start a work thread where fifty invaded reef tanks post to that thread, the author uses bottle bac dosing to cure the invasions we get to see the patterned truth by page 25

without that, the endless posting will continue forever. Work threads are how we discern snake oil claims

case#1

see how hard it is to run a work thread and get grouped results for pass or fail

it's not like the two systems are full of wrecked before pics, then super clean after pics. we have to go on subjective testimony for most of it.

**however
Sunnyx is garnering some patterned strong testimony that's for sure. I began his thread fully skeptical that overdosing/maintaining cycle bacteria in cycled reefs was worth any value. though I'm not sold I have to quit fully discounting it now/going forward/that's a lot of stated positive perceptions. I still want to see thirty pages of stark before and after pics before complete buy in, but at least something exists now to change my mind.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner

Boogieman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, in most tanks they are already there, and are not just bacteria. Algae and diatoms also serve the function of taking up space where dinos may want to take over perfectly well, for example. On the bacteria side, adding more on a regular basis might possibly help keep the right strains present if they are amongst what you are dosing, but it might also be like adding 5 gallons of gas to your car every day, without knowing whether it will fit in the tank or not.

Again IMO, I think displacement/outcompetition of dinos is often an effective plan, and that can be accomplished many ways. Adding bacteria may be one of them, but isn't the one I generally recommend anyway. Keeping nutrients higher is one of them.

Cyano has different needs and different ways to deal with it. I'm less convinced bacterial competition will be successful there, but in some scenarios it may be.

Thank you Randy . Continually trying to learn which is why I love this hobby.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back