+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Having backups are a must with certain items such as return pumps, heaters and more.
What items do you keep on hand in the event of failure?

I have return pump, Heater, salt, Battery operated pumps and a generator as well as emergency water in a mixing station

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

unchaotic

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have backup pumps for all 3 tanks now and I have some servicable extra heaters but I need to get proper spares for each. I also have some spare lights and wavemakers from the hoards that I've purchased over the years.

It turns into a big pile of stuff that I'd like to clean up and sell but the "What ifs" stop me every time.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have backup pumps for all 3 tanks now and I have some servicable extra heaters but I need to get proper spares for each. I also have some spare lights and wavemakers from the hoards that I've purchased over the years.

It turns into a big pile of stuff that I'd like to clean up and sell but the "What ifs" stop me every time.
I have in the past had extras and sold them as they were just sitting around and then needed at least one of them- lesson learned

Nutramar Foods

JTP424

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backup RO and Salt Mixed.
Main display tank has a backup micro heater and main pump on an Uninterrupted Power Source. (Has lasted me a solid 8 hours once)
Extra powerhead, return pump, and heater.
USB powered bubbler, heater, and fan.
Generator for when all else fails.

*Should note I only have a Nano 15 gallon display, plus 20 gallon frag :)

Nutramar Foods

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly .. I don’t have the room to store extras .
other than the bucket of salt in my closet and the storage container beside my tank with all the testing equipment and foods .
If something were to happen . It would have to wait until the next day to get to a lfs .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly .. I don’t have the room to store extras .
other than the bucket of salt in my closet and the storage container beside my tank with all the testing equipment and foods .
If something were to happen . It would have to wait until the next day to get to a lfs .
Even water change 32gal brute is stored outside in the garden shed .
rodi unit is in a closet

Top Shelf Aquatics

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps for all tanks. Crappy work in a pinch power heads. Box full of heaters with extra controllers (inkbird and finex) I keep a brute container full with water removed during changes in case of an emergency. brute full of rodi. pretty decent cache of salt. Empty tanks for emergency and seeded sponges in sump. Portable generator large enough for all tanks and frozen food (fish and peeps) to survive.
Edit: Forgot lights also. 3 black boxes to get by if needed. I have an unfinished basement and rarely throw anything away :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Narideth

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my backups have simply been gathered over years and years of fishkeeping, primarily in freshwater. I've been thinning out my supplies a little to try and keep them within the designated 'fish' areas, but there is definitely a surplus.

2 emergency HOB filters
1 extra return pump for my AIO
1 heater
1 wavemaker
2 battery powered bubblers
1 nano skimmer
3 air pumps and all tube/stone/connecting accessories
Many LED light sets that could limp a system along until something more powerful could be acquired.

I have small reef tanks so I only keep 10 gallons of RO/DI water on hand + salt

BRS

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backup pumps, lights, heaters and a back up Apex. :face-with-open-mouth:
Same otherwise but only a spare apex classic. Need a spare A2 head, but still costing a lil much for my blood as of currently.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my new 40gal Long AIO, it is running dual 530gph DC return pumps for redundancy. Primary heater is IM Helio set to 78F, then an inkbird if the heater fails, which turns on a Finnex titanium heater at 75F. Inkbird turns on fans at 79F, but I don't have a failsafe if the Helio or the inkbird starts heating nonstop.

Nutramar Foods

doubleshot00

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same otherwise but only a spare apex classic. Need a spare A2 head, but still costing a lil much for my blood as of currently.
I got mine locally used. If i see anything Apex related used for cheap i grab it. Hard to pass them. I have a spare eb832 also. :cool:

PR_nano

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my nano I have:
Return pump
Heater
Light
Battery for mp10
Battery pumps
RO water
Tunze Ato pump

So far had only had to use the Ecotech battery backup and tunze ato pump

Something I’m looking forward is mixing station or at least bigger RO container. Needed for a tank move and having to run to the LFS for water was not fun.

Avast

n2585722

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 backups for my return pump, 1 backup for my skimmer pump. I have 2 flow pumps MP10's in a 42 gallon tank. I also have a backup for my dosing pumps. My MP10's have a battery backup. My controller also has battery backup and will automatically go into low power mode if it looses AC power. In the 43 years we have lived in our house the longest we have been without power is overnight. The rest of the times it has been 4 hours or less at a time. We did have rolling blackouts a couple of years ago that lasted for a week. Everything went as planned and the flow pumps continued to work that whole time. It was below freezing that whole time which is very unusual for us so the tank did get down just below 70 and took a couple of day to get back up to 76 when it was over. I did not have any losses from that event. I did get a UPS for my modem and router after that event. There is not much you can do without power in an all electric home when it is that cold outside. So now the internet will hopefully continue to work during that type of outage if it happens again.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back