Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! definitely on the upgrade list down the road. My only fear is dumping 10 gallons of fresh water into the tank in case of an ATO failure vs 5 gallons and causing a spill/salinity drop but I suppose either can/would be detrimental anyway.
The Tunze 3155 doesn't allow for that. Even if a sensor fails it has a 10 minute shutoff for the pump.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 minutes seems like a long time, i'm assuming you meant 10 seconds?
It does 10 second fills but if there is a malfunction the system automatically shuts off after 10 minutes so you don't flood the house. This is more for people who have a continual water supply ato system set up. I usually keep 9 gallons in mine and even if that filled the sump and tank, the mess would be minimal.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible i have a female Sixline, but even with how peaceful mine is I would be very cautious about adding most fish after. Only if they are more or equally aggressive. My Azure damsels went in fine after him or maybe her in this case, although they are fighting with each other so had to separate them. The only other fish I want and I hope will be ok to put in with the sixline is a flame hawkish.
@NanoSteam it seems with Sixlines, at least from what I’ve read, it has to do with the individual fish and not the species as to their temperament. I plan to add my Sixline as the second to last fish with a dwarf angel being last. I’m worried about coral nipping with dwarf angels although they don’t actually eat corals and the nipping rarely gets out of hand. Dwarves are not coralavores by any means but occasionally get curious about living things in their environment and like to “taste” what they may.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam it seems with Sixlines, at least from what I’ve read, it has to do with the individual fish and not the species as to their temperament. I plan to add my Sixline as the second to last fish with a dwarf angel being last. I’m worried about coral nipping with dwarf angels although they don’t actually eat corals and the nipping rarely gets out of hand. Dwarves are not coralavores by any means but occasionally get curious about living things in their environment and like to “taste” what they may.

I'll have to agree majority of their temperament comes from the individual fishes personality.

I would love a flame angel but like you said I'm scared of nipping. I've kept a coral beauty in the past without issues but it's a coin flip and I like my corals more :p.

I'm certain the nipping would not cause issues in a mature tank with larger colonies just like in nature but in my tank with small frags if they kept getting bothered it could cause them to slowly die off.

Top Shelf Aquatics

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to agree majority of their temperament comes from the individual fishes personality.

I would love a flame angel but like you said I'm scared of nipping. I've kept a coral beauty in the past without issues but it's a coin flip and I like my corals more :p.

I'm certain the nipping would not cause issues in a mature tank with larger colonies just like in nature but in my tank with small frags if they kept getting bothered it could cause them to slowly die off.
@NanoSteam I worry too about young SPS getting nipped as opposed to more mature specimens. I also would like to have a flame hawk again but with their constant perching they could possibly topple freshly glued frags. I’ve wondered if putting a small plastic drinking cup temporarily over the top of the frag would protect them from hawk fish.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam I worry too about young SPS getting nipped as opposed to more mature specimens. I also would like to have a flame hawk again but with their constant perching they could possibly topple freshly glued frags. I’ve wondered if putting a small plastic drinking cup temporarily over the top of the frag would protect them from hawk fish.

I'm sure that would be ok, I wonder once the flamehawk has it's preferred spots to perch it would stick with it and not bother newly glued frags. Small price to pay for such a personable fish.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brave lol! let us know how it goes, although i'm sure it will be fine.
@NanoSteam @Lavey29 I too would like to know how it goes. Both those fish are listed as semi-aggressive on LA website. I want to select all my fish semi-aggressive to achieve a balance of power.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam @Lavey29 I too would like to know how it goes. Both those fish are listed as semi-aggressive on LA website. I want to select all my fish semi-aggressive to achieve a balance of power.
I just added a flame angel, indigo dottyback, 6 line wrasse and purple pseudochromis to my tank with 3 other full size wrasses. So far, everything looks cool because all the fish are fast swimming, semi aggressive and different types obviously. I seem to have problems introducing smaller less aggressive fish before even though the new fish now are small you can tell they have a non intimidated attitude. I think I have finally found a good mix of A type personality fish.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a flame angel, indigo dottyback, 6 line wrasse and purple pseudochromis to my tank with 3 other full size wrasses. So far, everything looks cool because all the fish are fast swimming, semi aggressive and different types obviously. I seem to have problems introducing smaller less aggressive fish before even though the new fish now are small you can tell they have a non intimidated attitude. I think I have finally found a good mix of A type personality fish.

Glad it's going good, in my experience most of the aggression happens first few days and dies off after but of course YMMV.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it's going good, in my experience most of the aggression happens first few days and dies off after but of course YMMV.
@NanoSteam @Lavey29 IME after all inhabitant fish settle in and establish their niche domain, the aggression subsides considerably.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam @Lavey29 IME after all inhabitant fish settle in and establish their niche domain, the aggression subsides considerably.
If you have enough tank and rockscape for everyone. I had bad luck recently with some new additions and the existing fish not allowing them into the neighborhood.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was bored, so put together a quick video. Things are going good, so far the tank is consuming 6ml of AFR daily but the struggle is my nitrates. Consuming 2.5ppm weekly. I'm having to dose 3ml of Nitrates daily to keep them at 2.5 to 5ppm.

Cyano is coming under control. Sand bed has really cleared up, just some remaining on the rocks now. Also tested phosphates for first time, those are reading at 0.05.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got tired of dosing nitrates by hand, added it to the doser at 2ml a day to maintain 2.5ppm.

took some random photos too testing out the orphek iPhone filter lenses. macro lens is pretty fun.

600247F0-9F72-4F83-A501-B87D29C71658.jpeg
406CC487-3064-434E-AE7A-EF9A00AD027B.jpeg
29DD8544-CCAC-417B-8C67-4FE19DE7A4D9.jpeg
93FA59F2-5237-4DAA-9E40-68AAC1F6D45A.jpeg
473910F6-F302-4D82-9FD2-D96FD2396D53.jpeg
7873A1A9-6EA3-4D25-A410-74969396A0B6.jpeg

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough tank and rockscape for everyone. I had bad luck recently with some new additions and the existing fish not allowing them into the neighborhood.
@Lavey29 @NanoSteam yes that definitely happens and next time it happens to me I’ll catch the aggressor and the one being picked on and put them in separate chambers of a social acclimation box.

Avast

powers2001

started reefing 1999
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got tired of dosing nitrates by hand, added it to the doser at 2ml a day to maintain 2.5ppm.

took some random photos too testing out the orphek iPhone filter lenses. macro lens is pretty fun.

View attachment 2445795View attachment 2445796View attachment 2445797View attachment 2445798View attachment 2445799View attachment 2445800
@NanoSteam great photos. I’m curious about the urchin. Is that a tuxedo or pincushion? Are they reef safe? I had a pencil urchin that ate all the nuisance algae then started eating all the coralline algae. I should have put out nori for it.

OP
OP
NanoSteam

NanoSteam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanoSteam great photos. I’m curious about the urchin. Is that a tuxedo or pincushion? Are they reef safe? I had a pencil urchin that ate all the nuisance algae then started eating all the coralline algae. I should have put out nori for it.

Thanks! it’s a blue tuxedo urchin, reef safe but they will eat coralline algae for sure. They definitely bulldoze through algae at the price of having coralline.

AquaCave

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Chasers Aquaculture
Back