Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is over 2 years old and my back glass is still not covered in coraline algae. I know a lot of people don't like it but I personally like the look. I have never cleaned my back glass in the time my tank has been up. My rocks were once covered but my tuxedo urchins have been tearing it up; seems to be not growing back much. It grows well on plastic like vortech wetsides, sicce pump, on my overflow box where the weir is, etc. It just doesn't seem to want to cover my back glass. I think I am more concerned with the thought of, "is there something wrong?". What do you guys think? What can be the issue?

Alk - 8.0-8.5
Cal - 440
Mag - 1375

IMG_3305.jpeg

IMG_3306.jpeg

IMG_3307.jpeg

IMG_3308.jpeg

IMG_3309.jpeg

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is over 2 years old and my back glass is still not covered in coraline algae. I know a lot of people don't like it but I personally like the look. I have never cleaned my back glass in the time my tank has been up. My rocks were once covered but my tuxedo urchins have been tearing it up; seems to be not growing back much. It grows well on plastic like vortech wetsides, sicce pump, on my overflow box where the weir is, etc. It just doesn't seem to want to cover my back glass. I think I am more concerned with the thought of, "is there something wrong?". What do you guys think? What can be the issue?

Alk - 8.0-8.5
Cal - 440
Mag - 1375

View attachment 3012544

View attachment 3012547

View attachment 3012549
View attachment 3012550

View attachment 3012551
I would consider myself lucky.

I have to scrape the horrible stuff off the back glass every month

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you still have the sea urchin? and do you dose 2 part or anything to keep your tank stable? Because my tank is only 3 months old and im starting to see coraline on my back wall and bottom since my tank is bare bottom tank.

View attachment 3012566

I still have the sea urchins, plan on keeping them especially because of the hair algae I am fighting. My calcium and mag has pretty much always stayed the same, haven't had to dose a lot of 2 part yet.

Consider it a blessing. Less time spent scraping your glass and cleaning equipment

lol I hear you. I just really enjoy the look of the back glass covered, I wouldn't touch it if it was covered on mine.

I would consider myself lucky.

I have to scrape the horrible stuff off the back glass every month

I would not be scraping mine lol

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk - 8.0-8.5
Cal - 440
Mag - 1375

View attachment 3012544

View attachment 3012547

View attachment 3012549
View attachment 3012550

View attachment 3012551
Consider that a blessing. That coraline will suck up alk and calcium

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have the sea urchins, plan on keeping them especially because of the hair algae I am fighting. My calcium and mag has pretty much always stayed the same, haven't had to dose a lot of 2 part yet.

lol I hear you. I just really enjoy the look of the back glass covered, I wouldn't touch it if it was covered on mine.

I would not be scraping mine lol
Get a urchin that's what I didn't

Nutramar Foods

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 urchins and they really munch down the coralline so it's just very spotty on my back glass and rocks now. Also when I water change the coralline exposed to the air dies off every time.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. So I wanted to reiterate on this post. I know I was concerned mostly about the coraline not growing on the glass. I also noticed that any coraline algae that my two tuxedo urchins have at this past year is not really growing back. I have lost 1 urchin so there is only 1 urchin for a 6 ft tank. I really miss my rocks being purple. My levels have been stable and not moving much. Not sure how to get the coraline growth ramping up again. I WANT this problem lol. Not sure if its not growing because I am battling a bad GHA infestation and maybe it is consuming whatever the coraline algae needs first? Let me know what you guys think.

CLICK TO VIEW

102ttran

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. So I wanted to reiterate on this post. I know I was concerned mostly about the coraline not growing on the glass. I also noticed that any coraline algae that my two tuxedo urchins have at this past year is not really growing back. I have lost 1 urchin so there is only 1 urchin for a 6 ft tank. I really miss my rocks being purple. My levels have been stable and not moving much. Not sure how to get the coraline growth ramping up again. I WANT this problem lol. Not sure if its not growing because I am battling a bad GHA infestation and maybe it is consuming whatever the coraline algae needs first? Let me know what you guys think.
You can try to ask your local reefer who have a bunch of coraline in their tank and ask them if they can scrape them off and put it in a cup for you. And you can seed your tank with that water.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started dosing kalk again I got faster coralline growth.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I beat GHA thank god. It is officially considered “managed” and there is not a speck of GHA on the rocks, sand, or glass that I can visually see. I am starting to notice more and more small specks/patches grow on the rocks again. I also noticed that I have a lot more asterina starfish in my tank then I once thought.

Can they, on top of the GHA competing for nutrients/space, be the reason why my coraline algae was originally wiped out?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back