Azure Damsel in distress

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my first few fish just yesterday and I'm afraid the Azure Damsel isn't doing well at all. I also purchased 2 Mocha clownfish. All three fish are an inch or less.

Though I'm new to the saltwater world, I've had highly-equiped freshwater tanks pretty much my whole life.

Here's the run down of this tank. The 50g has been up for 5 weeks.
pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 10, more than 5.
Salinity 1.025
Temperature 77F

The clownfish are doing great so far. They are eating like crazy and seem to be having a good time. The Azure on the other hand is laying on the sand bed. This morning he was on the left side. After coming home from work, I found him on the right side. Not sure if he swam there or just drifted. I acclimated him for roughly 35 minutes before adding him to the tank. Right away he went into hiding and then as yesterday processed he was on the sand floor just laying there on his side breathing rapidly. As of right now, he's not breathing as rapidly as yesterday, but still isn't moving, laying on the sand, nor has he eaten anything.

I'm guessing this behavior isn't normal. And I'm not sure what to do. All three fish were in the same tank at the petstore and all the fish in the tank looked pretty healthy before I made my purchase. I'm guessing he's pretty stressed and I'm hoping he'll make it after a few days of rest.

Anyone know what's up with this guy? I can't treat him without knowing what the problem is.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased my first few fish just yesterday and I'm afraid the Azure Damsel isn't doing well at all. I also purchased 2 Mocha clownfish. All three fish are an inch or less.

Though I'm new to the saltwater world, I've had highly-equiped freshwater tanks pretty much my whole life.

pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.025
Temperature 77F

The clownfish are doing great so far. They are eating like crazy and seem to be having a good time. The Azure on the other hand is laying on the sand bed. This morning he was on the left side. After coming home from work, I found him on the right side. Not sure if he swam there or just drifted. I acclimated him for roughly 35 minutes before adding him to the tank. Right away he went into hiding and then as yesterday processed he was on the sand floor just laying there on his side breathing rapidly. As of right now, he's not breathing as rapidly as yesterday, but still isn't moving, laying on the sand, nor has he eaten anything.

I'm guessing this behavior isn't normal. And I'm not sure what to do. All three fish were in the same tank at the petstore and all the fish in the tank looked pretty healthy before I made my purchase. I'm guessing he's pretty stressed and I'm hoping he'll make it after a few days of rest.

Anyone know what's up with this guy? I can't treat him without knowing what the problem is.
Lying on the sanded suggests significant illness/injury. Can you give any more information - acclimation, your parameters (your LFS parameters - I..e salinity) if possible? It would be extremely unlikely for a disease to have been 'caught' within this time-period in your tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.025
Temperature 77F

Can you post a video? We need more clues before we can hazard to guess what’s going on.

Your water chemistry rules a lot out, so does the fact that the clownfish came from the same tank.

Was the damsel off since day one? It is pretty common for a fish to get injured when being captured at the store.

OP
OP
L

LunaSky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he made me out to be a little bit of a liar. Though he's spending a lot of time on the sand still, he's definitely shooting around the tank now. He's also playing around in the current my filter is making. After a few seconds of fun, he darts back under the rocks to rest on the sand for a while. He definitely wasn't doing well yesterday and this morning. So I suppose I just got worried for the little guy. I still haven't seen him eat. He hides when I aporoach the tank and most of the mysis shrimp and flakes ends up on the sand if not eaten by the clowns. Hopefully he's getting something.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, he made me out to be a little bit of a liar. Though he's spending a lot of time on the sand still, he's definitely shooting around the tank now. He's also playing around in the current my filter is making. After a few seconds of fun, he darts back under the rocks to rest on the sand for a while. He definitely wasn't doing well yesterday and this morning. So I suppose I just got worried for the little guy. I still haven't seen him eat. He hides when I aporoach the tank and most of the mysis shrimp and flakes ends up on the sand if not eaten by the clowns. Hopefully he's getting something.
A picture/video would be helpful

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back