AWC - Ecotech Versa VX-1 vs GHL Doser 2.2 Maxi

LordMarvolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently in the planning phase of a new tank build, and am looking at ordering parts in the coming weeks. I'm set on running an Automatic Water Change system and will be running 2x 1000L IBC's for my Saltwater Mixing Station. However, I'm stuck on which Dosing Pump to choose for my AWC's.

To preface, I'm in the UK, so equipment choices can sometimes be limited. The tank will be approx a 15M (50 Feet) away from the mixing station.

My two contenders at the moment are 2x Ecotech Versa VX-1's, or a GHL Doser 2.2 Maxi (Standalone)
Pricing is similar at £400 for the 2x VX-1's and £380 for the GHL 2.2 Maxi

Are there any substantial considerations I should have in regards to the reliability, maintenance schedule, noise etc with either choice?

I'm currently drawn to the GHL Doser 2.2 Maxi with GHL Hardware being plentiful in the UK, meaning I'd also plan to run the standard GHL Doser 2.2 Ext for daily dosing, but I'd be open to running the Versa VX-1's if the hardware is considerable better or more reliable?

Any thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1726080761296.gif

Pod_01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an opinion, I don’t own the Maxi or Versa.
Out of the two I would go for the GHL Maxi stand alone version. You can add level sensor, temperature probe and even magnetic stirrer so it acts like a stand alone controller for AWC.

I do use two GHL Dosers 2.1 and one of them is over 5 years old and going strong.

Other benefits with GHL is that most parts are serviceable by the user, motors. control board etc… and available for purchase. I didn’t need to buy any replacement parts yet so not sure how easy it is.

Software, let’s say it is improving at glacier pace. If you are exclusively Apple user or iPhone user like me it can be irritating. GHL has not embraced the smart phone 100%. They are still in the computer on the desk age (Windows 95) and USB cable update mentality. Don’t tell them the year is 2024!!!

Support from GHL is good, but you need a ticket or no support for you. The ticket system is web based and very frustrating when using iPhone (especially trying to attach a picture etc…). Yes to respond to their reply you need to go to the web interface.

For warranty work GHL meets the industry standard, you send you part in they check etc… So if you need to send parts across a border factor in the extra cost and time. If they provide full in country support this may not be an issue.

Good luck,

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold a 2.2 maxi I used for AWC. I really tried to like it. It was well made. was not too loud. But man the app was not great, I had constant issues connecting to it. I hated that it was in Liters and it couldn’t be changed as far as I could figure out. But the biggest issue for me was not GHL fault.
I am using hydros for control and tunze for ATO and I couldn’t figure out a simple way have the GHL operate stand alone with out affecting ATO. Even when it was putting water in and out at same time ATO would start running. So I created a time where ATO was off but that started giving my ATO issues. And lastly it didn’t move enough water for me.

Conclusion if I had more GHL items it probably would have been fine, but it didn’t work for me. I ended up just running a 1/2” pvc line to water mixing station and now I can do water change in about 10 min. I would like to go to AWC in the future but I have not seen anything else I am ready to try at the moment.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back