+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Marty,

I know it's you, because I don't go at tanks with a hammer for just anyone...That and you're in Ocala :)

The truth is, when we built Tim's tank, we weren't doing the ABS bottoms, but his tank was built with a much more complicated lamination method, that is very effective, just not practical for most tanks, and somewhat cost prohibitive for smaller aquariums. He has a 2" bottom (not counting bracing) with 4 strategically placed pieces of 1" glass, coated in a self-priming glass paint/catalyst layered with one of our silicones. You can sit an elephant in his tank and it would hold.

Hope this helps

Felix

Curious why you didn't have Felix install an ABS liner on your tank? Are you planning on BB or a sandbed? When I picked up my tank from RS, Felix demonstrated the strength of his phantom bottom design by repeated blows with a hammer - which had absolutely no effect at all. :)

AS
Top Shelf Aquatics

echopiece

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't Marty..... just kidding Felix - you got me :)

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like a beast of a tank. I probably shouldn't be giving him any more ideas, or you might be making another trip to OH lol. Plus, I want to see this thing wet!

Hi Marty,

I know it's you, because I don't go at tanks with a hammer for just anyone...That and you're in Ocala :)

The truth is, when we built Tim's tank, we weren't doing the ABS bottoms, but his tank was built with a much more complicated lamination method, that is very effective, just not practical for most tanks, and somewhat cost prohibitive for smaller aquariums. He has a 2" bottom (not counting bracing) with 4 strategically placed pieces of 1" glass, coated in a self-priming glass paint/catalyst layered with one of our silicones. You can sit an elephant in his tank and it would hold.

Hope this helps

Felix

Wildcats1023

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't Marty..... just kidding Felix - you got me :)

Thanks for the explanation, sounds like a beast of a tank. I probably shouldn't be giving him any more ideas, or you might be making another trip to OH lol. Plus, I want to see this thing wet!
We all are anxiously waiting for Tim's tank to get wet

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are welcome anytime, Corey!

Tim, i could swing by with my camera and some free looks at the progress since last time I was there! I don't have a great lens yet but could probably borrow one from someone up here.

Yes, indeed! :)
We all are anxiously waiting for Tim's tank to get wet

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
100% chance this tank gets wet soon! Would like to get the Pukani rock moved over by Spring Break too. I think I picked up more than enough salt today to get things started. :)

Well, the problem is that the tank is too nice to actually get it wet. So, I think that's why he's waiting so long;) We may never actually see a drop of water in that masterpiece of glass.

compressedsalt.jpg

Last edited:

BigKid4788

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did this build actually start? I see the build started in mid 2016 but that has the tank already assembled. Just curious as you are showing much more patience than most reefers. Really looking forward to seeing this thing get wet!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% chance of this beast of a tank getting wet soon. Would like to get the Pukani rock moved over by Spring Break too. I think I picked up more than enough salt today to get things started. :)

compressedsalt.jpg

Salt is in the house guys !!! Finally I think the wait is over . Super stoked !!
Tim , please make a video with the monster wet and rocks in it aquascape.

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! Patience can be a virtue in this hobby. I can't speak for most reefers, but for me, putting together my dream SPS system was not about how fast you start, but rather, how you finish and I definitely made a lot of changes along the way. ;)

When did this build actually start? I see the build started in mid 2016 but that has the tank already assembled. Just curious as you are showing much more patience than most reefers. Really looking forward to seeing this thing get wet!

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is a lot of saltwater to make for sure . :)

If the rodi started today it will be April before it's full. Lol. Best of luck with the build. I'm local if you ever need help. Will work for frags . :)

Top Shelf Aquatics

chomoney

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed some frags from you at LEAR this weekend and had to look you up on here after being impressed with the pieces you had.

Wow! Just wow! Very glad I did.

When I started reading the thread, I was kind of bummed I missed out... but now that I’m at the end, looks like I’m here just in time for things to get wet :)

OP
OP
aquavista99

aquavista99

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was nice to meet you both at LEAR in Cleveland! Thank you very much for the compliments! Glad all is well with your new frags too! @chomoney @newmonium

Grabbed some frags from you at LEAR this weekend and had to look you up on here after being impressed with the pieces you had.

Wow! Just wow! Very glad I did. When I started reading the thread, I was kind of bummed I missed out... but now that I’m at the end, looks like I’m here just in time for things to get wet :)

Got the strawberry shortcake acclimated and mounted. Polyps were out in under 20 minutes. That's impressive after being in a cooler for 6 hours or so. Thanks!

Avast

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Kessil
Back