Automation overview created with AI

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pump in all of my equipment and added parameters one at a time. here is what AI came up with. It is amazing
HYDROS Collective

Step 1: Initial Setup
Download the HYDROS App:
Download and install the HYDROS app on your smartphone or tablet.
Create an account and log in.
Connect the HYDROS Devices:
Ensure all your HYDROS-compatible devices (controllers, sensors, power strips, etc.) are connected and powered.
Follow the app instructions to pair each device with your HYDROS system.
Network Configuration:
Connect your HYDROS system to your Wi-Fi network for remote access and cloud integration.
Ensure the connection is stable and secure.
Step 2: Configuring Pumps
Iwaki 100RLT Return Pumps:
Monitoring: Add flow sensors to your Iwaki 100RLT pumps in the HYDROS app. Set up monitoring parameters to ensure the pumps are running at optimal levels.
Alerts: Configure alerts for deviations in flow rates, indicating potential clogs or pump issues.
VorTech MP40mQD and Gyre XF350 Pumps:
Control: In the HYDROS app, add the VorTech and Gyre pumps. Use the 0-10V input control for speed adjustments.
Programming: Set up custom flow patterns (e.g., reef crest, lagoon, pulse) and integrate them with feeding modes.
Feed Mode: Create a feed mode that reduces the flow during feeding times. Set the duration for 10-20 minutes.
Step 3: Configuring Lighting
ReefBreeders Photon 24-V2 Pro LED Fixtures:
Integration: Add your LED fixtures to the HYDROS app.
Schedule: Create a lighting schedule that simulates natural sunlight patterns, including sunrise, sunset, and moon phases.
Intensity Control: Adjust the intensity based on PAR readings from the MQ-510 PAR Meter, ensuring optimal lighting conditions for coral growth.
T5 Retrofit Units:
On/Off Scheduling: Use the HYDROS-controlled power outlets to automate the on/off cycle of your T5 lights. Set up a staggered start to gradually increase light intensity.
Step 4: Configuring Heaters and Chillers
600W Titanium Aquarium Heater w/ Helio Controller:
Temperature Control: Connect the heater and Helio controller to the HYDROS system.
Set Points: Set the desired temperature range (76-80°F) and configure alerts for deviations.
Redundancy: Program the Helio controller to act as a backup in case of sensor failure.
Step 5: Configuring Protein Skimmers
Reef Octopus Regal 200-int Protein Skimmer:
On/Off Control: Set the skimmer to operate continuously but integrate it with feed mode to turn off during feeding times.
Overflow Protection: Add a sensor to monitor the skimmer’s collection cup. Program the HYDROS system to shut off the skimmer if overflow is detected.
Step 6: Configuring Calcium Reactors and Dosing Pumps
VarioS CR200 and Reef Octopus VarioS CR3000 Calcium Reactors:
pH Monitoring: Install pH probes in the reactors and connect them to the HYDROS system.
Control: Set the CO2 solenoid valve to adjust based on pH readings within the reactor (target 6.5-6.8 for optimal media dissolution).
Versa 4 - Dosing Pump:
Automated Dosing: Program the dosing schedule based on your tank’s needs. Use data from the Trident & A3 Apex Pro Controller System to adjust dosing levels for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium.
Step 7: Configuring Auto Top-Off (ATO) System
Osmolator 3 Auto Top Off:
Water Level Control: Connect the optical and float sensors to the HYDROS system. Set the desired water level in the sump and configure alerts for high/low levels.
Salinity Control: Monitor salinity levels and adjust the ATO system to maintain consistent salinity (1.024-1.026 SG).
Step 8: Configuring Fleece Rollers and Filters
Smart roller L Filter Roller - Reef Factory:
Flow Monitoring: Add flow sensors to monitor the roller’s performance. Set triggers to advance the fleece when water levels rise due to clogging.
Maintenance Alerts: Program the HYDROS system to alert you when the fleece roll is near depletion.
Step 9: Configuring Ozone Generators
  •  ORP Monitoring: Connect the ORP probe to the HYDROS system and set the desired ORP range (300-350 mV).
  • Control: Program the ozone generator to turn on/off based on ORP levels. Include safety shutoffs to prevent excessive ozone production.
  • Ozone Air Dryer Gen 2:
  • Drying Cycle Control: Program the air dryer’s cycles to ensure consistent ozone production.
Step 10: Configuring UV Sterilization
Step 11: Configuring Feed Modes
Custom Feed Mode Setup:
Programming: In the HYDROS app, create a feed mode that temporarily reduces flow rates from your VorTech and Gyre pumps, turns off the protein skimmer, and dims the lights. Set the feed mode duration for 10-20 minutes.
Step 12: Configuring Sensors and Monitoring
Flow Sensors:
Setup: Install flow sensors on the Iwaki 100RLT return pumps and connect them to the HYDROS system.
Monitoring: Set the HYDROS system to monitor flow rates and trigger alerts if there are significant deviations.
Leak Sensors:
Placement: Place leak sensors under the sump, near the RO/DI system, and along plumbing lines.
Alerts: Program the HYDROS system to send immediate alerts and trigger emergency shutoffs if leaks are detected.
PAR Monitoring with MQ-510 PAR Meter:
Programming: Use the HYDROS app to monitor PAR levels in real-time. Adjust the lighting intensity based on the data to maintain optimal conditions for your corals.
Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium Monitoring with Trident & A3 Apex Pro Controller System:
Setup: Connect the Trident system to HYDROS and set the desired ranges for alkalinity (8-12 dKH), calcium (400-450 ppm), and magnesium (1250-1350 ppm).
Automated Dosing: Program the HYDROS system to adjust dosing based on real-time data from the Trident system.
pH, Salinity, and ORP Monitoring:
Setup: Install pH, salinity, and ORP probes in your tank and connect them to HYDROS.
Programming: Set desired ranges (pH: 7.8-8.4, Salinity: 1.024-1.026 SG, ORP: 300-350 mV). Configure alerts and control actions for deviations.
Step 13: Custom Automation and Rules
Night Mode:
Programming: Create a night mode in the HYDROS app that reduces flow and dims lights to simulate natural nighttime conditions.
Scheduling: Set the start and end times for night mode based on your tank’s photoperiod.
Maintenance Mode:
Programming: Set up a maintenance mode that temporarily shuts down or adjusts specific equipment (e.g., skimmers, reactors) to facilitate easy tank maintenance.
Step 14: Setting Alerts and Notifications
Real-Time Alerts:
Configuration: Use the HYDROS app to set up real-time alerts for critical parameters such as temperature, pH, salinity, ORP, and leak detection.
Notification Preferences: Choose how you want to receive alerts (e.g., app notifications, email, SMS).
Emergency Procedures:
Automation: Program automatic responses to critical alerts, such as shutting down pumps if a leak is detected or switching to backup power during a power outage.
Step 15: Power Monitoring and Energy Management
Power Consumption Monitoring:
Setup: Connect all equipment to HYDROS-controlled power strips.
Monitoring: Track the power usage of each device. Program the system to send alerts if power consumption deviates from normal levels.
Energy Optimization:
Automation: Set schedules to turn off non-essential equipment during low-demand periods, reducing energy costs.
Step 16: Remote Access and Cloud Integration
Remote Management:
Setup: Ensure your HYDROS system is connected to Wi-Fi for remote access.
Cloud Logging: Enable cloud logging in the HYDROS app to store historical data for long-term analysis and optimization
Step 17: Redundancy and Safety
Dual Controllers:
Setup: Connect multiple HYDROS controllers to ensure redundancy for critical systems like return pumps and heaters.
Automation: Program the controllers to take over each other’s duties in case of failure.
Battery Backup:
Setup: Connect essential equipment to a UPS or battery backup system. Program HYDROS to automatically switch to backup power during outages and alert you.
Step 18: Water Changes and Maintenance Scheduling
Automated Water Changes:
Programming: Use solenoid valves and dosing pumps to automate water changes. Set schedules based on your tank’s needs, typically 10-20% weekly.
Control: Program the HYDROS system to monitor water levels and salinity during the water change process.
Maintenance Alerts:
Scheduling: Set reminders in the HYDROS app for routine maintenance tasks such as filter changes, equipment cleaning, and water testing.
Step 19: Additional Monitoring
Nutrient Levels (Nitrate, Phosphate):
Manual Input: Enter nutrient test results into the HYDROS system to track trends over time.
Automation: Adjust feeding, dosing, and water change schedules based on nutrient levels.
Air Quality Monitoring:
CO2 Levels: If using air quality sensors, connect them to the HYDROS system to monitor CO2 levels in the aquarium room. Program the system to trigger ventilation or adjust dosing to maintain optimal conditions.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty neat! I was also amazed that chatGPT had knowledge of apex programming language and could even write specific code for my outlets.
i could NEVER trust that...... chatGPT gets so many things wrong, it cant be trusted for life support systems IMO.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i could NEVER trust that...... chatGPT gets so many things wrong, it cant be trusted for life support systems IMO.
I mostly agree, though it has gotten much better in the last few months I’ve noticed. I have the latest paid version 4o which does perform better. I don’t trust it blindly and know how to program my apex myself, so just use it to provide ideas and foundation code for more complex tasks, then check and edit myself.

OP
OP
danreef55

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has given a good jumping off point. I had to do eight iterations posing numerous criteria. I am not relying on this write up just wanted to share the exercise. Take what you like and leave the rest. Be well

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly agree, though it has gotten much better in the last few months I’ve noticed.
Not really....

I use it daily for work tasks (code, research and documentation), you have to know both what you are taking about to begin with and know how to check each and every one of its answers.

If you do not 100% lead it (by knowing what you are talking about) it will give you very convincingly wrong answers. In fact, you can easily get it to give you wrong answers that it will cite as correct. You can get it to contradict itself easily as well.

The mistake most people make is being lulled into thinking it is "smart" it is not smart at all. it simply fills in blanks with what it has read before, using words that commonly follow each other. They also mistake the conversations as being linear and coherent. ChatGPT loses it place in a conversation very quickly. It may remember parts of it, but don't be fooled into thinking it is taking into consideration the last 20 responses and your directives. Reminding it to stay on track helps, but also adds more confusion a the same time. Often it is better to delete the conversation and start fresh once it starts to hallucinate.

OP
OP
danreef55

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really....

I use it daily and honestly for work tasks (code, research and documentation), you have to know both what you are taking about to begin with and know how to check each and every one of its answers.

If you do not 100% lead it (by knowing what you are talking about) it will give you very convincingly wrong answers. In fact, you can easily get it to give you wrong answers that it will cite as correct. You can get it to contradict itself easily as well.

The mistake most people make is being lulled into thinking it is "smart" it is not smart at all. it simply fills in blanks with what it has read before, using words that commonly follow each other. They also mistake the conversations as being linear and coherent. ChatGPT loses it place in a conversation very quickly. It may remember parts of it, but don't be fooled into thinking it is taking into consideration the last 20 responses and your directives. Reminding it to stay on track helps, but also adds more confusion a the same time. Often it is better to delete the conversation and start fresh once it starts to hallucinate.
Hi BA
I agree with you 100%. You have to verify everything (which I have NOT done) and sometimes the logic is so complex you need a math teacher. That being said it would be cool if people ripped this apart to see where it falls short. I look at it as an exercise. My tank doesnt get here until November:)

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ChatGPT loses it place in a conversation very quickly.
I’m reading a book called “the singularity is near”, about AI development and futurism around the eventual merger of human and machine intelligence. This ability to keep context in a conversation is currently one of the most challenging technical hurdles for AI, even at the highest levels, not just for everyday consumers.

In general, I agree that it has limitations, but it is certainly impressive and rapidly evolving. I think it will become an indispensable part of everyone’s lives within 5-10 years, and I’m happy to be an early adopter ;)

OP
OP
danreef55

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't do too well. I probably can get it to give reasonable albeit not entirely correct. I might play with it in a while. It didn't account for what ports are available to determine their placement what they will control.

I have already figured this out so again it was an exercise
System Automation
1723139243352.png

1723139260829.png
1723139277601.png

1723139293531.png

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh. Not impressed. It’s pretty simple to figure out what you need to do for automation. What’s it got to say about how to do all that?
I think it is impressive for what it does, if you can learn to manage it and expectations. I use it as a better interactive “google” .

I can browse 20 spec sheets and compile or have it do it for me and help me drill down and make a decision that I can then verify.

I can have it build a list like above and then reorder it.

The issues is that at any time, it may decide to reword items or omit them. The same with code, it may decide to drop a whole function or rewrite it even though you specifically told it not to.

Also, use it enough and you will find that it never shuts up… you can ask it to be more pointed or brief, but a few responses later and the bloviation returns. Simple answers that could be a few words become 4 paragraph bulleted responses, etc.

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn't do too well. I probably can get it to give reasonable albeit not entirely correct. I might play with it in a while. It didn't account for what ports are available to determine their placement what they will control.

I have already figured this out so again it was an exercise
System Automation
1723139243352.png

1723139260829.png
1723139277601.png

1723139293531.png
I am reminded so much how silly I think the form factor (and names) of these products are. It’s a shame, as my understanding is that the software is good.

I will purchase a maven if the reviews are good.

Captain-Barnacle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AI gave me all sorts of fancy advice and told me everything I was doing wrong. I disagreed and asked for a second opinion. It said I was ugly too.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back