+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did these changes work for you?
After removing the HOB filter and skimmer, I dosed NeoNitro cautiously daily until levels came up to around 5-10ppm NO3. I also added Seachem Iodide according to the bottle instructions to bring up the level to a good value, although I have no Iodide test to verify. I also dosed NeoPhos but could never see any effect - the measured level is always between 0 and 0.03 ppm on the Salifert test.

Early on in this, I was hit by a dino outbreak, which I treated with a UV unit.

The Kenya Tree and GSP started to perk up. I added a couple more fish.

After seeing consistent NO3 levels of 5-10ppm I added back the HOB filter and skimmer and have been running like that for the last few weeks. The UV unit is still on, but the dinos are almost completely gone. I wonder whether I should bump up the NO3 level to around 25ppm to encourage some competing algae.

Corals.com
OP
OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After removing the HOB filter and skimmer, I dosed NeoNitro cautiously daily until levels came up to around 5-10ppm NO3. I also added Seachem Iodide according to the bottle instructions to bring up the level to a good value, although I have no Iodide test to verify. I also dosed NeoPhos but could never see any effect - the measured level is always between 0 and 0.03 ppm on the Salifert test.

After seeing consistent NO3 levels of 5-10ppm I added back the HOB filter and skimmer and have been running like that for the last few weeks. The UV unit is still on, but the dinos are almost completely gone. I wonder whether I should bump up the NO3 level to around 25ppm to encourage some competing algae.
Sorry for the almost duplicate post - I thought the first one was lost, as I was asked to log in when I tried to post it! Seems to have posted anyway.

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used TM A and K, but many folks have been happy with it. My opinion is based largely on what they write about it, and the respect I have for the scientific competence of Hans-Werner Balling and other TM folks. They not infrequently post at Reef2Reef, and while I may quibble with them about the details of what methods might be better than others, I've not seen them post anything grossly incorrect. I know that sounds like a low hurdle, but many other companies cannot even pass that based on their product descriptions alone.

FWIW, no trace element dosing scheme is without fault or limitation, including TM A and K, but there's no good way around that unless you have confidence in ICP testing and do a lot of it to optimize lots of different dosing solutions.

I personally would not combine multiple brands without monitoring by ICP of what is actually needed.
Tk u for the reply. Im gonna keep dosing the AFR as it has kept my alkalinity a steady 8.3 with 20ml a day added which has been great since my alk was nose diving hard because the corraline is exploding.

I did start dosing the isol8 mt at half the recommended dose since i think my scrubber is really pillaging my iodine, iron and manganese. I will monitor how the tank looks and send in another icp test in 3 months.

Corals.com

Seansea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. Do you turn your skimmer off when adding iodine. I have my skimmer on during lights on period and off during lights off. So 12 and 12.

I run my ATS on when main tanks lights off and off opposite. So 12 and 12 for that as well. Dont really want to turn skimmer off when adding during lights on which isol8 says to do.

OP
OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Do you turn your skimmer off when adding iodine. I have my skimmer on during lights on period and off during lights off. So 12 and 12.

I run my ATS on when main tanks lights off and off opposite. So 12 and 12 for that as well. Dont really want to turn skimmer off when adding during lights on which isol8 says to do.
My skimmer runs 24/7. It's an HOB Reef Octopus and performs well if left alone :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

My skimmer is running

Avast

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

None of the forms of iodine we dose are skimmable. Iodide, iodate, I2.

Nutramar Foods

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know ty

I should revise that to say that there are some companies with "secret" time release formulations which we know nothing useful about. I don't recommend those.

Brightwell's product may fit that issue, although they may just confusingly mean it has antioxidants added to it to increase shelf life:

"Highly-concentrated, extended activity iodide solution."

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back