Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully grown adult male yellow coris wrasse(Halichoeres chrysus), doesn't touch an asternia in my tank, unfortunately.
I haven't seen my melanurus eat one off the front glass. I just have a suspicion, based on the constant hunting behavior and based on the correlation of star numbers.

It could be that not all mature Halichoeres wrasses do, or it could be that none do. I'm not sure.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

stanlalee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are asterina really that bad for the ecosystem? Won't they self regulate their population by available food source?
They can be. The ones in my system have a taste for zoanthids and if you don't have knowledge of this (I eventually read about it) they don't make it obvious. But if you have them and you notice your zooanthid colony not opening like it should or gradually getting smaller while everything else is doing well I guarantee if you pick up the coral colony and start inspecting underneath and in between the polyps you will find small ones there who are eating your polyps. They don't do it fast enough not to keep zooanthid because you can manually remove them from the colony before they decimate it but it can get irritating having to de-starfish zooanthid colonies every few months

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It starved to death and died. I even dropped stars on top of him, only to have him move away.
I have a shrimp in my 300 for 6 months now never adding a star only thing for him to eat is astrea and I still see him nightly looking for more…

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be. The ones in my system have a taste for zoanthids and if you don't have knowledge of this (I eventually read about it) they don't make it obvious. But if you have them and you notice your zooanthid colony not opening like it should or gradually getting smaller while everything else is doing well I guarantee if you pick up the coral colony and start inspecting underneath and in between the polyps you will find small ones there who are eating your polyps. They don't do it fast enough not to keep zooanthid because you can manually remove them from the colony before they decimate it but it can get irritating having to de-starfish zooanthid colonies every few months
From the internet-

Correct, there are several types of Asterina starfish. It is common knowledge that there are a couple types that will consume zoa polyps. It is fairly rare for most people to end up with these types though.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried manual removal and a Harlequin shrimp, and certainly the shrimp did his job in my S650, but unfortunately he disappeared before I could remove him back to the LFS

When I did manual removal, each morning before lights on, I have a long pair of tweezers and basically picked out as many as I could see every morning for a week or so until few were left and it certainly lowered the numbers.

I have them back again now, big time in the S650 so when I get around to it I will have another go at the manual removal for a while. I don’t really want another shrimp, as in a tank that size they can be difficult to catch.
Are asterina really that bad for the ecosystem? Won't they self regulate their population by available food source?
I'm definitely not overfeeding, I have no algae, and it looks like the only thing that would keep them fed is corraline algae. And yet I still have hundreds if not thousands in my tank. I don't think they will slow down.

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nordoa starfish are more efficient than harlequin shrimp if you can find one as they can move in and around the rock work and the glass sides. You'll run into the same problem though as they will likely starve after eradication.

nordoa star eating  040816.JPG

Avast

HB AL

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a good method for controlling asterinas in a reef tank?
1. I have a Niger Trigger so a Harlequin might not survive long. I would like to hear if anyone has had experience with these critters in a tank together.
2. I have literally hundreds of pounds of rock in my tank. Manual removal would be impossible.

Any advice here would be appreciated. They are harmless but the sheer volume is an issue for me.
Do to my predators I couldn't add ànything that ate them around 5 years ago. I had a huge outbreak and I would manually net all the ones on the glass in the am and there were some big suckers. I noticed they were feeding on my coraline algae and once they pretty much ate most of the coraline algae in the tank there numbers and my netting significantly went ðown over months and years later I've never had another outbreak/bloom of them since although there are always some in the tank.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Serious question; why eradicate them?
in my experience they aren’t worth the fight, frankly they are part of the cuc.
Purely from looks perspective. A tank over run with Asterina looks like chicken pox. Also, some have reported “some variation” of Asterina to eat Zoas.

on a different note, harlequin shrimp 100 percent works with Asterina and generally invert eaters spare harlequin. I am sure they look at harlequin and find them too cute to snack on :)

Sam

CLICK TO VIEW

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With respect to tolerating Asterina starfish as a desirable part of the CUC, I disagree. Yes, they are true scavengers as are bristle worms. I consider bristle worms as very desirable.

In my 120G display that is 5 years old, I tolerate Asterina because it’s too big & deep to get them. I have slowly eliminated Asterina manually in four other systems. When Asterina attach to macro algae, the immediate damage is evident with a dead band of tissue. They are especially fond of red macro algae. As with all red macros, when it is dying, red macros give off a bright iridescent orange which is an early “death sign”. I used a uv light to track down Asterina stars on my ornamental red grapes.

image.jpg

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nordoa starfish are more efficient than harlequin shrimp if you can find one as they can move in and around the rock work and the glass sides. You'll run into the same problem though as they will likely starve after eradication.

View attachment 2929435
I might have to explore this as an option. I imagine finding one of these is a challenge, however.

OP
OP
GillMeister

GillMeister

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this been an issue? IME they will explode in population and then slowly start dying off into a more reasonable population. Maybe just wait them out.
It's been an issue for well over a year. I haven't seen any indication that the numbers are tapering off either.

Jrain904

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been an issue for well over a year. I haven't seen any indication that the numbers are tapering off either.
I’ve had reefs for like 18 years so I can’t remember how long it took for mine to level out. I do know I had “plague like” proportions of them at one time but now they are just fine. Couldn’t tell you what changed.

As a general rule if any one thing is overtaking a tank, whether it be algae or critter, it’s usually just a symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself.

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm in the minority here because I kind of like the little guys. I just see them as part of the ecosystem balance in the tank. They have a reason for being there and perhaps it may or may not be ideal for the tank. I wish they were in a variety of colors though and not just white. I'm not sure they are eating coralline but maybe film algae on or near the coraline. I'm going to let nature run its course for awhile and see what develops. I hope they just become an extra part of the cleaners and don't over populate.

World Wide Corals

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a good method for controlling asterinas in a reef tank?
1. I have a Niger Trigger so a Harlequin might not survive long. I would like to hear if anyone has had experience with these critters in a tank together.
2. I have literally hundreds of pounds of rock in my tank. Manual removal would be impossible.

Any advice here would be appreciated. They are harmless but the sheer volume is an issue for me.
Just have to live with them… I’m in the same boat and my population of them just increases daily as they happily breed every water change. I will say that you may not have true asterinas as the ones we think are ‘asterina’ are actually aquilonastra species. These are much less harmful to reefs.

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm in the minority here because I kind of like the little guys. I just see them as part of the ecosystem balance in the tank. They have a reason for being there and perhaps it may or may not be ideal for the tank. I wish they were in a variety of colors though and not just white. I'm not sure they are eating coralline but maybe film algae on or near the coraline. I'm going to let nature run its course for awhile and see what develops. I hope they just become an extra part of the cleaners and don't over populate.
I actually like them too. To my knowledge, no studies have actually be conducted on what these guys eat, but I would guess they most likely eat biofilms (or, possibly, similar to Chocolate Chip Starfish, they may eat biofilms, microalgal films, and small invertebrates like pods, worms, etc.).

Also, there actually are a couple of different colors of Aquilonastra stars (though they don't seem to show up in the hobby, and most of them have a white base still) - the most noticeably different ones that I know for sure are Aquilonastra (relatively reef safe) are orangish to red in color, but some are more gray/dark gray in color with white rims.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I manually remove them at night. Think about how long it would take for the shrimp to remove the 40 pieces you did in 5 minutes ?

I also see they sell these on eBay as algae clean up crew LOL

Nutramar Foods

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Serious question; why eradicate them?
in my experience they aren’t worth the fight, frankly they are part of the cuc.

They destroy coralline algae when in huge numbers and then this allows detritus to be harbored by algae at the surface of rocks and the white look on the rocks looks bad.

I like all the various colors of coralline algae that range from pink, purple, green, ect.

Also being a barebottom reefer I like some coralline at the floor of the tank. Lot's of asternias and you have none.

A Young reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They destroy coralline algae when in huge numbers and then this allows detritus to be harbored by algae at the surface of rocks and the white look on the rocks looks bad.

I like all the various colors of coralline algae that range from pink, purple, green, ect.

Also being a barebottom reefer I like some coralline at the floor of the tank. Lot's of asternias and you have none.
makes sense, I don’t have a heavy coraline build up either ways since my urchins strips it off the rocks. I don’t mind them for the time being as long as they don’t explode in numbers, more variety to the ecosystem for now.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back