Are you happy with the sand in your tank?

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am VERY happy with my sand! I got most of mine as live sand from a friend, but also bought some Carib Sea live sand. My gobies, pitho crabs, and fighting conch all love it as well!
I got Carib Sea live sand as well!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black sand I had was the Caribsea Hawaiian black. It has iron in it. It is natural volcanic ash. I don’t recommend it for reef tanks unless you want to manually scrape the glass with a stick cleaner. A moving magnet will pickup the iron and scratch the glass.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with CS special grade and I hated it. My sand liking fish obviously didn’t like it as it was big and abrasive. It was incredibly dusty and despite over ten rinses it was still making my tank all cloudy when disturbed. Finally algae and detritus seemed to collect on it all the time.

Switched to CS Fiji pink and it’s far better in all aspects. Two years later and my sand is pure white with no detritus buildup despite never siphoning
I think a mix of both works really well

Special grade is needed if you're keeping burrowers, because the Fiji pink is too fine and just collapses

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand bed keeps getting moved around by my twin spot goby! I need to add more sand for him to move around but I don't want my expensive button scoly to be buried. (He has a deep hatred for this coral and I do not know why...)

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back