Are water changes necessary if nutrients & parameters stay in check?

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m curious! If my nitrates and phosphates stay in check, is it still necessary to do scheduled weekly/biweekly water changes in order to replenish the trace elements? I’m currently dosing AFR and hoping that makes up for the longer periods I go without WC. But if it’s recommended to WC no matter what, I’ll start a routine. What do you guys think?

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Water changes are some of the best and cheapest insurance we have for our tanks. They do far more than remove some nutrients and replenish a little bit of trace. They remove organic and inorganic compounds we have no way to test for.

Over the last 20 years I’ve watched thousands and thousands of tanks come and go. One constant I’ve seen is those who do water changes, have a far greater shot at success. It is a great routine to get into.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a bad idea to do water changes if the numbers are fine, but in practice it isn't 100% necessary assuming you run quality carbon and test as much as you can. When I had my 75 gallon, I would only change water when cleaning the sump. My current nano tank hasn't had a water change since I set it up earlier in the year.

bobnicaragua

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing reef moonshiners method for years. Basically no water changes, monthly ICPs, and trace element dosing based on the ICP. I have 2 bags mixed with carbon and GFO in the sump and change one every 2 weeks.

Either regular ICPs or some type of occasional water change schedule would be a good idea to keep your parameters where they should be.

I wouldn’t just dose all for reef, stop water changes, and hope for the best long term.

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been doing reef moonshiners method for years. Basically no water changes, monthly ICPs, and trace element dosing based on the ICP. I have 2 bags mixed with carbon and GFO in the sump and change one every 2 weeks.

Either regular ICPs or some type of occasional water change schedule would be a good idea to keep your parameters where they should be.

I wouldn’t just dose all for reef, stop water changes, and hope for the best long term.
Sounds good thank you! I just did a 20% WC and will start a biweekly schedule and see how that works out for me

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started AFR about 6 months ago and have done very minimal water changes. Tank is 65g total and I do 2 gallons every couple of weeks. I have my flow so detritus collects in one corner so I basically vacuum that once in a while and that is my water change. I don't know if its the AFR or just tank maturity (was 1 year old when I started AFR) but corals have really taken off. I have mostly sticks in the tank.

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started AFR about 6 months ago and have done very minimal water changes. Tank is 65g total and I do 2 gallons every couple of weeks. I have my flow so detritus collects in one corner so I basically vacuum that put once in a while and that is my water change. I don't know if its the AFR or just tank maturity (was 1 year old when I started AFR) but corals have really taken off. I have mostly sticks in the tank.
NICE! That’s my goal! I’m still fighting stability. Had a few weeks of stable parameters than added my first few acro frags and boom alk has been up and down ever since lol. I have a 65g too.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! That’s my goal! I’m still fighting stability. Had a few weeks of stable parameters than added my first few acro frags and boom alk has been up and down ever since lol. I have a 65g too.
I still have to tweak it once in a while. TM says to monitor calcium but I monitor alk. I manually dose the full amount in the morning then test in the evening since everything I've read says the alk is released slowly unlike most parts.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much goes into this equation it's hard to give definitive answer. How many fish? How much do you feed? What's your filtration? I have 17 fish in a 75g and feed heavy. Water changes are my best way of keeping tank clean.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back