+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look like possibly live mysis shrimp
Beat it to me! Likely some kind of mysid shrimp, (Mysis shrimp are a type of mysid shrimp as they belong to the order Mysida). These are infrequent hitchhikers that might eat smaller pods and each other. They themselves are preyed upon by larger organisms. Nice find!
1665017402767.png

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're so small! This was the best I could do for pics. Tbh I think they're too small to be clownfish fry but idk for sure

Attachments

• Snapchat-1772805326.mp4
    14.9 MB
  • Snapchat-383351411.jpg
    Snapchat-383351411.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beat it to me! Likely some kind of mysid shrimp, (Mysis shrimp are a type of mysid shrimp as they belong to the order Mysida). These are infrequent hitchhikers that might eat smaller pods and each other. They themselves are preyed upon by larger organisms. Nice find!
View attachment 2852437
Omg they really do look like mysid!

...How did they get into my tank though? And why the sudden baby boom lol

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're so small! This was the best I could do for pics. Tbh I think they're too small to be clownfish fry but idk for sure
Don't look like baby clowns to me; I'm thinking mysids.
Not to worry, just take good care of your clowns and you'll be a grandparent before you know it!

Nutramar Foods

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...How did they get into my tank though? And why the sudden baby boom lol
They can hitchhike on live rock, frags, macroalgae, etc.
Perhaps there was an increase in their food source. Searching up on Google, in addition to consuming copepods and their own young, it looks like they also eat amphipods (likely young ones), algae, and detritus. The ones you have appear to be full grown (they aren't very large).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey guys, so last night I noticed a ton of these little things swimming around in the tank.

I thought they were brine shrimp at first (I fed the fish live brine not that long before), but they looked different and swam differently too.

I've never had baby fish before, so I have no idea what clownfish fry look like (I assume they're clownfish fry because those are the only fish I have that are in a pair). Do these look like baby fish? I never noticed an egg nest anywhere in the tank either so that adds to the mystery lol.

Sorry for the potato pictures but they're so small and my camera had a hard time focusing on them.

If they are baby fish, should I try to grow them? Or is it too late for them? I've never grown babies before so I don't know what to do with them!

Any help is much appreciated!!

View attachment 2851692 View attachment 2851693 View attachment 2851694 View attachment 2851695 View attachment 2851696 View attachment 2851698
I have some fry right now and they look like mine - Yes
They may get eaten unless you can move to a separate tank and use sponge filter until they reach one inch. Feed live and frozen baby brine shrimp and also live and frozen rotifiers

AS

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Update: upon closer inspection they kind of look like baby shrimp?

The only shrimp I have in the tank are a pistol and cleaner shrimp, but the cleaner died about a week ago. Any ideas??
These guys have definite eyes and tail - not shrimp

here are baby clown pics:

1665019552939.png

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys have definite eyes and tail - not shrimp

here are baby clown pics:

View attachment 2852501
If I recall correctly clown fry usually develop that prominent eye shimmer in the egg, these seem to lack that. I can't find photos or videos of the ones from work but they look like smaller transparent version of this wild mysis sp I photographed (I know its its a rough photo, low light while holding my breath- I tried xD). In several of those photos they appear to have a pronounced rostrum although that could be motion blur, idk why motion blur would create the taper I'm seeing.
IMG_0958.PNG

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I recall correctly clown fry usually develop that prominent eye shimmer in the egg, these seem to lack that. I can't find photos or videos of the ones from work but they look like smaller transparent version of this wild mysis sp I photographed (I know its its a rough photo, low light while holding my breath- I tried xD). In several of those photos they appear to have a pronounced rostrum although that could be motion blur, idk why motion blur would create the taper I'm seeing.View attachment 2852515
Yes- eyes have gold shimmer for a few days

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looking in a 32” screen, these could be shrimp

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can hitchhike on live rock, frags, macroalgae, etc.
Perhaps there was an increase in their food source. Searching up on Google, in addition to consuming copepods and their own young, it looks like they also eat amphipods (likely young ones), algae, and detritus. The ones you have appear to be full grown (they aren't very large).
It's possible they hitchhiked on some corals then. I bought a bunch of corals from a coral market a few weeks ago. How they managed to survive and hatch though is a mystery!

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some fry right now and they look like mine - Yes
They may get eaten unless you can move to a separate tank and use sponge filter until they reach one inch. Feed live and frozen baby brine shrimp and also live and frozen rotifiers
Unfortunately they died not long after I did this post, so I wasn't able to grow them any bigger :(. But I'll def keep this advice in mind whenever my clowns decide to make me a grandparent

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly clown fry usually develop that prominent eye shimmer in the egg, these seem to lack that. I can't find photos or videos of the ones from work but they look like smaller transparent version of this wild mysis sp I photographed (I know its its a rough photo, low light while holding my breath- I tried xD). In several of those photos they appear to have a pronounced rostrum although that could be motion blur, idk why motion blur would create the taper I'm seeing.View attachment 2852515
Yeah I think you may be right. Clown fry and mysis babies look kinda similar, but mysis are definitely smaller than clown babies

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Inkbird
Back