Are there any must-have gadgets for power outages in 2024?

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking to improve my power outage preparations for my tanks. With all the crazy weather lately, I'm anticipating 1-2 hour power outages with a max of 1 day so I'd like to cover my bases.

I currently have:
  • 2x Ecotech Battery Backups that will run 1xMP10 & 1xMP40 each
  • USB rechargeable 2600mAh Aerator ~20-30 hours of operation
  • 4x Penn-Plax Silent Air B10 Battery Aerator (uses 2 D Batteries) ~96 hours of operation
  • Toyota 4Runner's 400w inverter
Anything else I should look into getting? I am wondering if a generator or large power bank would be worth it.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We need more detail on the tank and what you want to keep running during the outage

For 1-2 hours and even a day, temp shouldn’t really be an issue. Your main concern would be water flow, filtration, and aeration

For my 75g reef I have a dc return pump hooked up to a lithium battery inverter/generator. It plugs in the wall, and the return pump plugs into it. I can easily get 40+ hours of runtime in a power outage, it kicks in automatically and when power comes back it switches back to AC and recharges itself.

BA34D496-2DE9-4576-A6EC-9093A113CBBE.jpeg
94128C4F-F026-418D-9C7D-81BFEA3BFA46.jpeg
A48A09B6-10F5-43EA-8E42-BE5F3075EDAA.jpeg

Lighting is not an issue during a <2 day outage.

Running my return pump gives me
1) current for corals health
2) oxygenation from water traveling through the overflow and waterfalls in my sump compartment
3) filtration by flowing through my sump
4)increased water volume as the sump water is circulating and mixed with the display water

If you give me a list of gear you absolutely need for a <24 hour period, and ideally the watts pulled by that gear, I can spec you something like this to meet your goals. This one I got for approx 250$ on sale.

The ecotech battery backups are 15yr old crap battery tech I can spec you something better

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a mp10 and mp40 on this tank. Tell me your settings (color on wheel, and number of leds lit) and I can mimic it and give you a runtime for them on my lithium battery

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house Generac. (This is hyperbole).

Honda 2200 inverter (this is almost hyperbole, but also true).

If you don't wanna spend the money on a generac , or Honda, the brand Pulsar makes a great inverter for a really great price. Also UPS battery backups are a solid way to keep some flow and a fan on a tank.

I'm a Floridian. We know all about this junk.

1000006452.jpg

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a mp10 and mp40 on this tank. Tell me your settings (color on wheel, and number of leds lit) and I can mimic it and give you a runtime for them on my lithium battery
I currently have 5 tanks in the house where 3 of them are plumbed together lol The main system is the one I am focusing on backing up. I can move stuff into it from the others if needed.

It consists of 2x 40 gallon breeders and a Waterbox 180.5. The 40 gallons are both running MP10s at 50% reef crest. The 180.5 runs 2x MP40s with 1 at 50% and the other at 20%. The return pump for this system is an Ecotech Vectra M2 running at 40%. I'm assuming that's all I would need running for a day or 2...maybe the skimmer if that's possible (Reef Octopus Classic 200 INT)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whole house Generac. (This is hyperbole).

Honda 2200 inverter (this is almost hyperbole, but also true).

If you don't wanna spend the money on a generac , or Honda, the brand Pulsar makes a great inverter for a really great price. Also UPS battery backups are a solid way to keep some flow and a fan on a tank.

I'm a Floridian. We know all about this junk.

1000006452.jpg
I did look into both of those actually lol so you'd recommend the Honda 2200?

I feel like Georgia is turning into the new Florida lately :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house Generac...
Tesla power wall,,, but,,, uhhh,,, yeah.

For expected (or at least being nearby) power outages, I think post #1 is sufficient, and very similar to what I've been doing.

If away on vacation with nobody watching the tank and capable of dealing with an unexpected outage, well,,, I know I'm screwed.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full disclosure.
If you can afford a whole house back up, DO IT!!! Best thing I ever spent money on.

If you don't wanna spend 10K+ in a generac, those Honda 2200's are sweet. I have a couple of those, a Ford (made by pulsar), and a pulsar.

Before I put in the Generac, I would grab whichever inverter was most accessible. My tanks not as large as yours. But I kept everything on in my tank including lights. I still had the headspace to run more off of it.

Every product I mentioned really is worth the money. That includes the UPS battery backups for folks who just wanna keep a fan and power head running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think a great resource for this would be following Telegraham on social media. Really helped me sort out a plan and save money on a backup power plan
ohhh he's making me want to get that ecoflow river 2 for my return pump. Thanks for the suggestion!

Full disclosure.
If you can afford a whole house natural gas back up, DO IT!!! Best thing I ever spent money on.

If you don't wanna spend 10K+ in a generac, those Honda 2200's are sweet. I have a couple of those, a Ford (made by pulsar), and a pulsar.

Before I put in the Generac, I would grab whichever inverter was most accessible. My tanks not as large as yours. But I kept everything on in my tank including lights. I still had the headspace to run more off of it.

Every product I mentioned really is worth the money. That includes the UPS battery backups for folks who just wanna keep a fan and power head running.
no natural gas at my house so I'd have to get a tank :(
I'm leaning towards the Honda 2200 + a station like ecoflow river 2.

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards the Honda 2200 + a station like ecoflow river 2.

No.... if your going to pay that much for a honda generator, you may as well just get a large battery station.

Honda's are excellent generators, but they are extremely pricey for something you will only use for "Standby"

Also they are not the easiest to store away for long term storage, needing you to drain the fuel tank, make sure your carborator is purged, and oil clean. Also generators do not like being on standby all the time, and like to be run every now and then, otherwise you will have issues with clogged fuel lines, or bad gas, unless your running a Propane / NG unit.

You can get a large ecoflow Delta 2 pro, that could probably hold you a couple of days provided you do not use a heater, for the price of a honda generator + river2.

Otherwise i would probably go with a small station like a ecoflow / blueyetti... somewhere around 700Wh+ capacity + a Wen or Pulsar 2kw Generator, and have it on standby should it ever be needed.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No.... if your going to pay that much for a honda generator, you may as well just get a large battery station.

Honda's are excellent generators, but they are extremely pricey for something you will only use for "Standby"

Also they are not the easiest to store away for long term storage, needing you to drain the fuel tank, make sure your carborator is purged, and oil clean. Also generators do not like being on standby all the time, and like to be run every now and then, otherwise you will have issues with clogged fuel lines, or bad gas, unless your running a Propane / NG unit.

You can get a large ecoflow Delta 2 pro, that could probably hold you a couple of days provided you do not use a heater, for the price of a honda generator + river2.

Otherwise i would probably go with a small station like a ecoflow / blueyetti... somewhere around 700Wh+ capacity + a Wen or Pulsar 2kw Generator, and have it on standby should it ever be needed.
That makes sense. I like the idea of having something that will automatically switch on and be available too.

Would it be safe to keep a power station like the ecoflow delta under an open stand (see below)?
1717220377608.png

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

This is the best price I’ve found, new from
Amazon.

1075 watt hours for 399$

Compared to

Eco flow river 2 pro - 768wh - $439
Eco flow river 2 pro - 768wh open box - $320
Eco flow river 2 pro - 768wh refurb - $359

Eco flow delta mini - 882wh refurb - $389

Eco flow delta 2 - 1024 wh - refurb - $559

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be safe to keep a power station like the ecoflow delta under an open stand (see below)?

i don't know if a delta pro will fit there... they are quite large...
But as long as its not Wet, then i do not see an issue.

And i believe some stations have the feature of being able to act like ups, like a blueyetti.
Meaning its always on, and will automatically switch to battery in the event of a power failure.

Only difference is your looking at a 14aH battery on a UPS, vs a 200aH battery on a large Lifepo4 station.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Portable generator from harbor freight. I have an 8500w that I paid around $800 for. Takes care of the whole house and not just my tank

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes it’s safe but when running on a/c mode there are cooling cans that come on and the vents should have some space between them and a wall

The one I posted switches from ac to battery in .01 seconds. I’ve tested and my return pump LCD didn’t even flicker or dim. It’s seamless.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 3800w generator and the issue is they aren’t worth it to pull out and hook up for a hour or two outage. Plus leaving them filled with gas so they are ready can clog the carb, leaving gas in cans is dangerous, and the fuel spoils over time. I’ve never used my gas generator once. I would probably need a outage more than 24 hours before even considering using it

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask me what i use... i have this guy:

Its connected to a 100aH SLA battery and the grid.

I also have a 2200W Pular propane generator on standby incase my battery does not last. I would just need to get a extension cord from my pulsar to the renogy and thats it.

That renogy unit i absolutely love, but its not pretty when all setup like a boxed ecoflow unit.
But if your the type that does crazy display setups like how some apex fusion / hydros guys do it, then building your own UPS with that renology would probably be a better route, as its scalable, and you can just add more batteries in paralell for runtime.

Last edited:

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My credentials
002EDF5E-DCBA-49C0-B32A-8E99B3BB9488.jpeg

I have been following the tech and brands for years and watched the capacity go up and price go down. Now is a good time to buy one for a few hundred dollars.

Couple years ago 300$ Would get you 300 watt hours. Now you can get that for half price and 300$ can get 500+. 400$ you can get 1000+ watt hours.

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple years ago 300$ Would get you 300 watt hours. Now you can get that for half price and 300$ can get 500+. 400$ you can get 1000+ watt hours.

You should take a look at that renogy i linked.
If you like doing DIY, or customizing, its really the preffered route to go for a more permenant setup.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back