Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I bought some ricordea florida's and one ultra red discosoma to start with in my new (3 months old) 200L tank.

One of the pink ricordea is very pale and has brown spots around it. I bought it like this, and dipped all corals twice, did not QT them.
20221221_144401.jpg

20221221_144430.jpg

20221221_144441.jpg

Water parameters are fine, just a little low on phosphates but im fixing it with extra feeding

Next question: my discosoma now placed himself right next to my biggest ricordea. They are overlapping a little. Next day another ricordea placed himself next to them. Can I leave them or will they damage or irritate each other? They all like the same spot lol.

20221221_183646.jpg

20221221_183654.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
freshwater? We don't put corals in freshwater, I think it kills them right away

All of my other corals are dipped the same way and they look healthy. I saw a video from BRSTV they advised it. Do you notice anything you recognize on the coral.

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one fade in color even though it was at the same level of a ricordea I had in the tank far longer. I moved it under an overhang, slightly shaded and has regained some color but not really growing. For what ever reason the par was to much for the one ricordea but not the other.

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one fade in color even though it was at the same level of a ricordea I had in the tank far longer. I moved it under an overhang, slightly shaded and has regained some color but not really growing. For what ever reason the par was to much for the one ricordea but not the other.
Okay so the brown spots are from too much light?

bushdoc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your ricordea is bleaching. It could be too intense light or other stress, like dipping in proprietary solution or freshwater. Dipping is a recognized method to get rid of coral pest, but it is stressful to frags, especially when they arrived with overnight shipping. Some coral vendors do not advocate immediate dipping after shipment. I put mine in a small frag tank undipped and dip them only before transferring to DT. Also, I turn my lights to acclimation mode.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were dipped in coral protec, and after that I did a 5m freshwater bath
BRS recommends fresh water dipping???
I guess I didn't see that video. Can you post it?
Edit: this is all I find.
It does say rinse the container. Rinse the frag in clean(salt) water. Nothing about fresh water.

Screenshot_20221221_142140_Chrome.jpg

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the brown spots are from too much light?
Honestly, I can’t see the brown spots. All I can make out is what looks like fading orange ( these are Florida orange ricordea?) but yes bleaching is often due to to much par.

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS recommends fresh water dipping???
I guess I didn't see that video. Can you post it?
Edit: this is all I find.
It does say rinse the container. Rinse the frag in clean(salt) water. Nothing about fresh water.

View attachment 2942717
They have hundreds of video's so Im not sure which one it was.
But I am 100% sure that they advised it in a video not older than 3 years.

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna link that as well, idk where they would ever say too put corals into freshwater, that is a big no-no
Okay thanks for the advice I won't do that anymore. But the coral looked the same before the dips and nothing came off the tissue

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mushrooms are so hardy that they would probably be one of the only corals I would say that are able to handle freshwater dips. As others said place it under an overhang with low light and flow.
Water parameters are fine doesnt really tell us much (and is pretty much a meme at this point). What are your actual levels? How often are you doing water changes and are you dosing for alk and ca?

Nutramar Foods

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks for the advice I won't do that anymore. But the coral looked the same before the dips and nothing came off the tissue
Your best bet now is to make sure they have a gentle flow and 100ish par(maybe less). Let them heal up a bit.

OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mushrooms are so hardy that they would probably be one of the only corals I would say that are able to handle freshwater dips. As others said place it under an overhang with low light and flow.
Water parameters are fine doesnt really tell us much (and is pretty much a meme at this point). What are your actual levels? How often are you doing water changes and are you dosing for alk and ca?
Actual levels are 3-4 Nitrates,
Phosphates are under 0.03 but above 0
Salinity = 1.025
Temp= 24.5

I do 10% weekly water changes. I use TM pro reef salt. I added just these corals last week so water changes should do the job for now. The corals are less than 2cm

dedragon

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get those nutrients up a little bit as mushroom corals like a bit dirtier water and could be reacting to that. Otherwise weekly water changes are fine for them best thing you can do is give stable conditions

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

ReeferHolland

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get those nutrients up a little bit as mushroom corals like a bit dirtier water and could be reacting to that. Otherwise weekly water changes are fine for them best thing you can do is give stable conditions
Yes I'm trying to make the water dirtier by extra feeding, but my filtration just works very well

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AAF
Back